• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Drive Ahead

Hamzahng

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I am new to this forum so first I will introduce myself a little. My name is Hamzah, and I am from Dubai, U.A.E (Middle East). I have a '98 XJ with 31's and 3" RC Lift with 2" Boost Lift.

The car runs great, it has some issues here and there but I got a lot of help from your site. I'm an Electrical Engineer with passion for cars. Our weather is very harsh (its a desert), Humid, and Hot.

I want to go on a road trip with my XJ to Salalah, Oman, which is almost 1600 KM away from home. and in Oman we drive daily Approx. 300 - 500 KM. The problem is I am worried that it wont make it for such a long distance. What do you guys suggest for me to install or to upgrade, to get the car to run for long time.

I currently have on the car :

Aluminum Radiator with Big pipes (Honestly, I forgot the pipe size)
2 Auxiliary Fans I turn them on with a Button.
Tranny Cooler with a fan (runs always)
Temp. Sensor to activate the second fan at lower temperature.
Replaced the Clutch fan with an Electric Fan.
Replaced the Water Pump last week
Gear Cooler and Engine Cooling was replaced to a new system (The Mechanics I work with proposed it and I don't know exactly what they did)

Also, I have replaced my ECU a couple of months ago, the new one can run all the systems, except for the Cruise Control. The Mechanics have told me I have to get the same ECU Part number to get the CC Back, but the Problem is I don't Know what was the number. is there any way around it? Reprogramming the ECU or something....

16508009_10158132795235363_4284411984203883429_n.jpg

This is the car btw.

First of all welcome. Great to see more jeeps. Your build looks great. If you have the I6 something to help them a little is a fuel injector upgrade. The stock ones are a one hole injector. I'd get some 4 hole bosh ones. There's plenty of write ups about it around here, part number including. The best thing I can offer other than the injectors is don't drive the snot of it, watch your temps, check fluids at every fuel stop( I only do it on trips seeing as I always check them once a week) and listen/ feel for anything funny. I use my jeep as my daily and have put in about 4000 miles sence the year started. If you do break down it's handy to have some form of communications with you. Phone? Radio? I run a CB in my rig and got lucky a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful XJ. My biggest concern in the desert would be cooling, but it sounds like you have that covered pretty well. Hood louvers? little more ventilation.

Since you are in a desert a snorkel can help for both the dust and a cold air intake.

Have an external trans cooler. (Don't route it through the main radiator)

I have done trips close to that distance in a weekend. XJs are pretty basic operating vehicles.

Avoid drafting behind large trucks and you will be fine. If you see temps rising slow down 5 or 10 kmh and it should make a difference.

Nice jeep.
Maybe in another life I will visit the Middle East and wheel there.

If you have the wrong ECM, there are rebuilders who can supply the right one, once given the VIN and mileage.
Cruise controls can have other reasons why they do not work, including bad buttons on the steering wheel.
Each button has its own specified resistance, which should be the same as shown in the FSM (factory service manual) for your year XJ.

We have big, hot deserts here too. The biggest issue is overheating and it looks like you have taken care of that.
To make sure, I would install a transmission temperature gauge and consider an OBDII reader. I use a ScanGuage to monitor the engine. I like the digital coolant temperature reading.
https://www.scangauge.com

Many here have tried all sorts of aftermarket electric cooling fans.
Many have gone back to a stock configuration, using the stock cooling and aux electric fans, along with a big, high-grade radiator, a transmission cooler and a steering fluid cooler.
Both of my XJs have Mopar's HD radiator and do not suffer from overheating, even in the summertime's desert heat.

A long long time ago in a land far far way, we modified vehicles with a water/alcohol mister in front of the radiator when we had to operate in 120F temps pulling large loads.

Personally, I wouldn't worry. The Cherokee with the 4.0L is a beast and at the worst I have turned on the heater to help when hitting extremes. I try not to run the air conditioner if it starts heating up.

I also added a snorkel to keep cooler and cleaner air for the engine. I was having to replace/clean the air filter every day. It also helped with the power a bit on the highway.

My biggest concern would be cooling, but it sounds like you've got that covered. If you plan on driving on the highway, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I've personally done 2,200 or so kilometers in 2 days at about 120 kph (or faster. :D ) with no real problems, in hot, humid Midwest conditions (if I had to take a guess, I'd say at least 30 degrees Celsius, humidity at some points was high enough that it was condensing on the expansion valve.)

That being said, I'd still carry some basic tools if you have them and supplies. Duct tape, JB Weld, ratchet straps, zip ties, and ingenuity work great for roadside repairs. :D I'd throw in a couple gallons of water for the cooling system as well drinking water in an emergency. I also like to carry around a bit of every fluid mine uses for long trips (power steering fluid, gear and engine oil, etc.) Make sure you have a spare tire, jack, tire iron, and the spare is actually inflated or you have a way to air it up. If you don't need 4X4, removing the front driveshaft should cut down on drivetrain wear and tear and give you better fuel economy too.

First of all guys, thank you for the fast replies... it seems that this association is indeed super active. I quoted everyone so I hope I don't forget anyone.

First of all welcome. Great to see more jeeps. Your build looks great. If you have the I6 something to help them a little is a fuel injector upgrade. The stock ones are a one hole injector. I'd get some 4 hole bosh ones. There's plenty of write ups about it around here, part number including. The best thing I can offer other than the injectors is don't drive the snot of it, watch your temps, check fluids at every fuel stop( I only do it on trips seeing as I always check them once a week) and listen/ feel for anything funny. I use my jeep as my daily and have put in about 4000 miles sence the year started. If you do break down it's handy to have some form of communications with you. Phone? Radio? I run a CB in my rig and got lucky a few times.

Thank you for the compliment :loveu:, I have the I6 4.0L Engine, and definitely I will look into that, does it help in better MPG btw?

also, yeah I do that every morning, now I took a car from my company so the XJ became my weekend toy, but I still take it out and drive it at night so I always check on the fluids especially water coolant :banghead:

Usually we drive in a convoy, but most of the guys drive JKs and FJs :doh: so there is always communication (GPS, Radio, Phone) we still have to smuggle the Radio to Oman since its illegal in both countries bu luckily, they dont really press any charges, they just confiscate the Radio :D :D

Beautiful XJ. My biggest concern in the desert would be cooling, but it sounds like you have that covered pretty well. Hood louvers? little more ventilation.

Until today, most of my modifications and builds are about cooling (3 Radiators died in a nice explosion in the process) but now somehow I have it steady, it runs on the Half mark, with sometimes going above the half mark and back. also, I installed spacers at the end of the Hood so it acts as Hood Vents..

Since you are in a desert a snorkel can help for both the dust and a cold air intake.

Have an external trans cooler. (Don't route it through the main radiator)

I have done trips close to that distance in a weekend. XJs are pretty basic operating vehicles.

Avoid drafting behind large trucks and you will be fine. If you see temps rising slow down 5 or 10 kmh and it should make a difference.

I'm Planning on buying a snorkel (Mostly for the looks :loveu:) but I don't really wanna spend alot as there is a good chunk of projects coming up, but not a lot of money. I saw some Snorkels at Ali Express for 25 - 50 $ Do you recommend cheap ones? does quality play big roles here?

I already installed it, and it is below the Main Radiator, with an external fan as well.

Yeah probably will do that, lets see how it will behave on daily commute in June and July :doh::doh:

Nice jeep.
Maybe in another life I will visit the Middle East and wheel there.

If you have the wrong ECM, there are rebuilders who can supply the right one, once given the VIN and mileage.
Cruise controls can have other reasons why they do not work, including bad buttons on the steering wheel.
Each button has its own specified resistance, which should be the same as shown in the FSM (factory service manual) for your year XJ.

We have big, hot deserts here too. The biggest issue is overheating and it looks like you have taken care of that.
To make sure, I would install a transmission temperature gauge and consider an OBDII reader. I use a ScanGuage to monitor the engine. I like the digital coolant temperature reading.
https://www.scangauge.com

Many here have tried all sorts of aftermarket electric cooling fans.
Many have gone back to a stock configuration, using the stock cooling and aux electric fans, along with a big, high-grade radiator, a transmission cooler and a steering fluid cooler.
Both of my XJs have Mopar's HD radiator and do not suffer from overheating, even in the summertime's desert heat.

you are welcome, and please PM me if you ever pass by, I can host you for a camp and some weekend wheeling.

Also, I have lost the old ECU, and the new ECU seems to run fine, all gauges are working, except for the Cruisecontrol. Ill look into the damaged buttons issue maybe it can take care of that.

I'll look into installing a transmission temp. Gauge, because my Shift Solenoids are faulty now because I did not notice that my cooler fan stopped working :hang: Ordering parts now, and hopefully I can source them from the US in less than 2 weeks :( I have the Bluetooth OBDII Reader and I connect it to my phone using the TOURQE app on Android.

My biggest concern would be cooling, but it sounds like you've got that covered. If you plan on driving on the highway, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I've personally done 2,200 or so kilometers in 2 days at about 120 kph (or faster. :D ) with no real problems, in hot, humid Midwest conditions (if I had to take a guess, I'd say at least 30 degrees Celsius, humidity at some points was high enough that it was condensing on the expansion valve.)

That being said, I'd still carry some basic tools if you have them and supplies. Duct tape, JB Weld, ratchet straps, zip ties, and ingenuity work great for roadside repairs. :D I'd throw in a couple gallons of water for the cooling system as well drinking water in an emergency. I also like to carry around a bit of every fluid mine uses for long trips (power steering fluid, gear and engine oil, etc.) Make sure you have a spare tire, jack, tire iron, and the spare is actually inflated or you have a way to air it up. If you don't need 4X4, removing the front driveshaft should cut down on drivetrain wear and tear and give you better fuel economy too.

its a Road trip so most of the time its on road, but once we reach oman, there will be some offroading (minor). yeah, temperatures here reach 50 Celsius so I don't know if the car can handle it or no ... I will try to go on a long trip here in UAE before august and see how it performs. Luckily, I have all of them supplies right in my car always, as you never know when you might need them, along with Spanner Set, Ratchet sets, Jack, Air Comp, Shovel, Spare Tire, Tire Pins, Tire Puncture kit, general tools, Jumper Wires, Coolant Water, Engine Oil, Gear Oil, Power Steering Oil, 40L Petrol, etc...)

A long long time ago in a land far far way, we modified vehicles with a water/alcohol mister in front of the radiator when we had to operate in 120F temps pulling large loads.

Personally, I wouldn't worry. The Cherokee with the 4.0L is a beast and at the worst I have turned on the heater to help when hitting extremes. I try not to run the air conditioner if it starts heating up.

I also added a snorkel to keep cooler and cleaner air for the engine. I was having to replace/clean the air filter every day. It also helped with the power a bit on the highway.

I will difinetly look into a Water/Alcohol Mister system, this looks very resonable and a nice way to cool down the car. probably have to build up one on my own as well...

Thank you again guys, and now you have made me worry a bit less about driving that long. I think also, I will check all the bushings and wearables and change them as well...

You mention the cruise not working. That could be a simple vacuum issue. There should be a vacuum ball behind the right side front bumper. I believe that is the cruise control vacuum. Check for damage or missing vacuum hoses.

I live in the Arizona Desert, we hit 110F in the summer . My 17 years of experience with Xjs in a desert is they overheat. My old XJ and now my Son's MJ were always at the limit of their cooling capacity. New radiators and better fans helped but it was always an issue.

I would build a 2nd custom radiator to put below the OEM sized radiator and run it in series with your current radiator.

I would run a dedicate transmission cooler with its own fan off to the side so it does not block air flow or add heat to the engine radiator.

I do not think an engine oil cooler will help much. I have not had luck with them lowering operating temps.

Run synthetic motor oil so you have usable viscosity at higher temps.

Run a 21-25PSI high PSI radiator cap so that you can run it hotter before it pukes. This could blow a hose, blow a heater core, or other leaks. but if it pukes out it might leave you stranded. Upgrade as much as you can so it can hold higher pressures.

I have not had good luck with distilled water and products like water wetter made no noticeable difference.

You mention the cruise not working. That could be a simple vacuum issue. There should be a vacuum ball behind the right side front bumper. I believe that is the cruise control vacuum. Check for damage or missing vacuum hoses.

I have checked the vacuum hoses, since I had a leak earlier and it caused the AC to stay on defrost always. for that I want to check the servo if it is working or no I still don't know how exactly, but I should figure out something as tonight is the weekend and I can sit and play with my car a little bit. I saw one guy who installed a cruise Control system on an old XJ with no cruise previously, so I doubt it has to do with the ECM ?? I have to check the resistance with the FSM as @lazyxj suggested... and I will update everyone on that regard by Sunday probably.

I live in the Arizona Desert, we hit 110F in the summer . My 17 years of experience with Xjs in a desert is they overheat. My old XJ and now my Son's MJ were always at the limit of their cooling capacity. New radiators and better fans helped but it was always an issue.

I would build a 2nd custom radiator to put below the OEM sized radiator and run it in series with your current radiator.

I would run a dedicate transmission cooler with its own fan off to the side so it does not block air flow or add heat to the engine radiator.

I do not think an engine oil cooler will help much. I have not had luck with them lowering operating temps.

Run synthetic motor oil so you have usable viscosity at higher temps.

Run a 21-25PSI high PSI radiator cap so that you can run it hotter before it pukes. This could blow a hose, blow a heater core, or other leaks. but if it pukes out it might leave you stranded. Upgrade as much as you can so it can hold higher pressures.

I have not had good luck with distilled water and products like water wetter made no noticeable difference.

hmmm a second radiator ... that seems interesting, but I would worry that it will be too low, then I might hit it or something...

Back