• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Find Starboard M a bike!

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Its starting to get warmer (minus the rain thats foretasted for tomorrow), and I want a motorcycle.

I was originally looking at Suzuki sv650s, sv1000s, or Honda FZ6s, or FZ1s. But I realized that I dont have the money for a newer $4k bike plus the insurance I would have to pay for being a kid.

So, Ive decided that I should start looking at older bikes, but I really have no idea what I am doing or what I am looking at. Craigslist is full of bikes, but I dont know what I should be looking at, what are red flags, or anything about bikes.

Im looking for crotch rockets, or older bikes. I dont really like cruisers or Harley type of bikes.

Ive found a couple options:

1982 Honda cb750
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2318780122.html
3m23pf3o15O15Q35W1b4b2f068f8e017216d9.jpg

1996 Honda cb750 Night
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2321388073.html

1989 Yamaha Radian 600
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2321373305.html

1992 Honday Nighthawk 750
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2320595886.html

Basically what Im looking for is something I can DD, mainly backstreet cruising, doubt Ill really get on freeways all that often. I would like to spend more time riding than wrenching, and the cheaper the better.

Im 6'2'' 190 lbs, so Im thinking a slightly bigger bike would be better. :insert I need a liter bike here:

Anyone have some input?

I found that '82 cb750 and sort of fell in love with it after seeing what people are doing to that type of bike. I like the "cafe racer" type of look.

Seems like the bikes have some issues with wiring, but nothing can match a Renix XJ wiring so I can prob figure them out.

Examples:
26371_408024462891_780322891_5185741_7653382_n.jpg

I guess Ill have to get some sweet aviators
profile.jpg

cb750-lrg.png

This is a cb550, but similar
mbcb7bc.jpg

I know I shouldnt fall in love with a bike so fast, but its fairly cheap and seems simple enough to work on. I sent the poster an email with no response yet. Guess Ill have to wait and see what he has to say.

whats price range?

ya dont need a litre bike, trust me

preference to vtwin inline4?
Cheaper the better, Im thinking under $1500, but the closer to 1k the better.

The liter bike comment was a joke, I know my limits. 650 is as big as I would go on a newer bike.

I dont know enough about bikes to have a engine preference. Ive read that the power curves are different, but my motorcycle experience consists of my MSF certification on a dual sport, and riding my friends Kawasaki zzr600 for 20 minutes around our neighborhood. :(

I am also getting a bike for the summer.. this will be valuable info! :D But I will be more on the side of a street bike/crotch rocket.

style is important when you are sitting there looking at it. but when you are riding you have no idea what it looks like....and a "race" type bike doesnt make anyone a better rider.

a good comfortable bike that inspires confidence in your riding will make you a better rider and youll enjoy riding more than if youre riding a bike that looks cool to someone else but you are uncomfortable riding it.

most people have 0 need for a "crotch rocket" Hell, i dont need one for what i use it for but the deal is the only reason i have it lol...

find out what kind of riding you plan on doing. how certain bikes sit between your legs and what position you want to be in while riding.

i HATE when i get home after riding an hour home after a day of work. being tucked tight on the bike sucks....unless thats what i want to do.

a sport touring bike would fit my needs so much better than my current bike.

look into it :D

ask mr Peach. ill be more than happy to answer anything i can about em and show ya whatever i can... :cheers:

style is important when you are sitting there looking at it. but when you are riding you have no idea what it looks like....and a "race" type bike doesnt make anyone a better rider.

a good comfortable bike that inspires confidence in your riding will make you a better rider and youll enjoy riding more than if youre riding a bike that looks cool to someone else but you are uncomfortable riding it.

most people have 0 need for a "crotch rocket" Hell, i dont need one for what i use it for but the deal is the only reason i have it lol...

find out what kind of riding you plan on doing. how certain bikes sit between your legs and what position you want to be in while riding.

i HATE when i get home after riding an hour home after a day of work. being tucked tight on the bike sucks....unless thats what i want to do.

a sport touring bike would fit my needs so much better than my current bike.

look into it :D

ask mr Peach. ill be more than happy to answer anything i can about em and show ya whatever i can... :cheers:
All reasons I was looking at the sv650 and the fz6. Both have a more upright stance which I feel I would like a lot better than the sport bikes with the aggressive rake.

This whole what are you going to use it for, and tailor a bike to it thing is sort of confusing. I DD a lifted Jeep. I know nothing of the sort.

Side note. I talked to Starboard D (my dad) tonight about me possibly getting a bike, and I got a stern no. :roflmao: He was not convinced that a 1980s motorcycle with 750ccs has less than half the power of a newer 600cc bike.

hahaha. i think they would be lucky to have half the power LOL
bikes have come a long way, especially since fuel injection(roughly 2001)

i think the SV bikes are killer bikes to start with. easy to find, insure, fuel and comfy to ride. plus you can swap triples/forks/wheel off a gsx-r and you get better handling, bigger/better brakes etc.

My speaks the troof. He's very knowledgeable and eager to answer questions when it comes to bikes.

Check out my little project thread if you have time to see my super cheap "crotch rocket". ;P

My speaks the troof. He's very knowledgeable and eager to answer questions when it comes to bikes.

Check out my little project thread if you have time to see my super cheap "crotch rocket". ;P
Thats one hell of a deal you got!

Found some more options.

84 Honda Nighthawk 650
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2263430129.html

84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (Apparently the bees knees when it was introduced)
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2296240828.html

93 Honda Nighthawk cb 750
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/2319410267.html

Thoughts, opinions on the Nighthawks? Why do I have a weird fascination with old, funky looking cars and bikes?

did you get your motorcycle licence yet? i know grand prix motor sports will give you money off if you go threw them for schooling plus you can get a beginner bike and they will let you trade it in full value up to a year towards a different bike once you are comfertable.

Recommendation:

Yamaha FJ1100 or FJ1200.

I had an 84 FJ1100 before eliminating some toys. Now I am hating that I sold it. Gonna take another couple years of harassment to convince the wife for another bike. Only sold it because I was spending too much time in the convertible and not riding the bike. I have noticed that older bikes are taken care of or not. Unless you want to rebuild a bike, get something that has been taken care of.

The only problem with FJ is a lot of guys have past experiences and love to look the bikes over if they are clean.

Because of my over weight stature, I am looking for a dual-sport or cruiser for my next option.

did you get your motorcycle licence yet? i know grand prix motor sports will give you money off if you go threw them for schooling plus you can get a beginner bike and they will let you trade it in full value up to a year towards a different bike once you are comfertable.
Dont have my license, but Ive already taken my MSF course. Im going in hopefully Monday to get my regular CO class C (or is it R in CO?), and my motorcycle enforcement.

How come no one wants to sell me their bike? 10+ emails out, only one response.

MSF should give you your paperwork for license?

They gave me some sort of card that apparently I present to the DMV. Tried to use it this summer in California (I have a CA license), and they wouldnt take it, so Im going to call tomorrow and ask about it.
But my girlfriends dad and my friend both got their licenses last year and use the MSF card without issues.:wierd:

Back