• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing vacuum lines

Highlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting tired of patching and replacing those pesky lines on a Renix engine.

Question 1. What can be eliminated???

Question 2. Can anything else be used? I was thinking about using copper tubing in the diffrent sizes to replace the plastic lines.

Question 3. Is copper acceptable to be a replacement? if not what are some other Ideas???

I'm looking at doing this at the same time I replace the rubber hoses for my coolant system (thanks 5-90!!)

Discuss!!!! *L*

Copper would be acceptable, but I haven't worked out the details yet. Tubing made from CRES would also work - but I'd be leery about mild steel, just because of rust (from the outside in.)

The Nylon OEM tubing can also be replaced - check your local NAPA, and tell them to look in their Echlin book. There are three part numbers that cover everything but the MAP sensor line (which I'm working on anyhow...) and it goes for about $50 all up. I don't have the part numbers handy, but I posted them a few months ago when I did the job (x2...) and they should still be up.

5-90

Hi, I just replaced my vacuum lines with braided rubber hose from a old bike air punp, they are very thick and seem to last a long time.

As for copper lines if you intend to use them, i would look at the copper lines they use for aftermarket oil preassure gauges.

As for what can be eliminated, that depends on your local laws, here in Canada laws are a joke, I took off the line going to the air box heat pipe(I like cold air all the time), I also took off the egr valve line( not a fan of EGR's), I f you have cruise make sure you have vacuum there. And vacuum to the ccv on your valve cover, and going to your vacuum tank.

5-90 said:
Copper would be acceptable, but I haven't worked out the details yet. Tubing made from CRES would also work - but I'd be leery about mild steel, just because of rust (from the outside in.)

The Nylon OEM tubing can also be replaced - check your local NAPA, and tell them to look in their Echlin book. There are three part numbers that cover everything but the MAP sensor line (which I'm working on anyhow...) and it goes for about $50 all up. I don't have the part numbers handy, but I posted them a few months ago when I did the job (x2...) and they should still be up.

5-90

Yea can't use the steel out here on the coast anyway*L*

I'll have to go back and check with NAPA. I don't feel as if the guy behind the counter knew what he was doing.

What is the lifespan for the OEM tubing?

And just for you, I'm taking a pic of a drilled t-stat tomorrow!!!!!

CAn the line from the airbox to the valve cover be eliminated by using a breather?

Cool, thanks! I last changed a thermostat before I got a digital camera, and just haven't been bothered since. I do appreciate it.

Tell the NAPA guy that you want to look in the Echlin book (their "house" brand) that covered emissions lines and such, you should find it in there. Or, just search here - I know I posted the part numbers in Echlin for all to see.

I don't know about the airbox line - I'm sure it's doable, but the Air Nazis might have issue with it for some reason ("Alteration from OEM configuration," or some other such nonsense.) While I approve of any mods that will make a system work better or be easier/cheaper to service, I have issue with having to undo all my work on alternate years just because some jackass in Sacramento sez so. Those people really should get their priorities right - if it passes the sniffer, who cares how you pass? If you fail - find out why and fix it. What's so difficult about that?

5-90

Back