• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BUILD: My 1987 "Wagoneer" XJ Limited

Did they have a second set?

By the way, I have the same Wagoneer!!

You have the same XJ? Any others in your area available for parts?

Honestly... In the evenings while watching TV... I search the Internet. What I might do differently is dig way down in the Google search results. Often one lead... Leads to another...

Where do you find this stuff

You have the same XJ? Any others in your area available for parts?

I have only seen one maybe two others on the road the last 8 years. They are getting very, very rare!

I was wondering why you were hunting for NOS tail lights when I think they are still available new, at the aftermarket Jeep parts places. I figured it was a restoration method issue.

I bought mine used, 224,000 miles with a tone of mechanical issues back in 2006. I have replaced just about everything except the engine block and head, transfer case and axle assys, and the body now.

The chrome MJ's are still available on eBay!

Wow that's crazy, still wish i could have gotten those taillights off of you

I have only seen one maybe two others on the road the last 8 years. They are getting very, very rare!

I was wondering why you were hunting for NOS tail lights when I think they are still available new, at the aftermarket Jeep parts places. I figured it was a restoration method issue.
>>> It's true there are many after-market tail-lamps... But none with the chrome-trim like the originals.

I bought mine used, 224,000 miles with a tone of mechanical issues back in 2006. I have replaced just about everything except the engine block and head, transfer case and axle assys, and the body now.
>>> Nice! It seems they are always a work-in-progress!!!

Very nice Wagoneer! Glad to see you are restoring it. I would like to restore an '87-'90 XJ after college. I'll be following this build closely, keep up the good work! :cheers:

Absolutely gorgeous! I recently did a resto on my '92, keeping it mostly stock, but upgrading with options, and items like later headliner and console. Still appears stock, but a head-turner! Great job!

All you need now is to get hold of some 'rocking chair' seat bases...

Is that the original OEM color or something else?

Her name is Desiree:

Presentation1_zps410838b8.png

Home from the paint-shop!

22_zps10509113.jpg

97_zpse0894cf6.jpg

99_zpse9dcdac0.jpg

23_zps123e2577.jpg

98_zpsc9667168.jpg

19_zpse678ef21.jpg

2_zps09e4b7c8.jpg

OK, now I am officially jealous. Two woodies in that photo :(

Woodgrain Trim

Now that the woodgrain is on... Time to work on the woodgrain-trim. When I first removed the trim I sent out requests to get opinions on how did its color compared to the original... The feedback was that mine looked much like the original. But when I ordered a few NOS replacement pieces... Much to my surprise it has a woodgrain finish!

So... Ditched the blast and spray idea in search of getting a woodgrain. Off to the water-transfer folks for a woodgrain finish. Stay tuned!

IMG_39792_zpscc8b82ac.jpg

Last edited:
The woodgrain trim is back from the shop!

IMG_00000544_zps555b0292.jpg

IMG_00000542_zpsf697f731.jpg

IMG_00000543_zpsf481f0d5.jpg

Back