• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please share photos of your cargo area.

I've reposted this because the original pics did not come thru.
I was going to put 4 draws in but I like having a cubby hole to throw things into. In the cubby hole I have a 2000 watt inverter, two 20' foot tow straps one rated at 40k and the other 20k, a tree saver strap & misc. The drawers have spare parts, grease, tire plugs, clevises, rad, hoses, sledge hammers, hilift foot block, coveralls rags, winch controls front and back ect... On top of the storage is two folding seats, a canvas round low poker table, two 12 volt compressors, and an Optima battery with 2 12volt ports. On the front of the box is a home made slim air tank with blow off valve a big tool box behind the 12 volt cooler/warmer. Under the cooler and tool box is the spare shafts drive and rear axle.

Last edited:
Forgot to add this yesterday, here's the organizer that sits under the lid. Fairly roomy, I haven't finalized what gear will ride in there yet.

The dogs will have a nice place to ride when in the back country.

Subscribed! 25

IMG_20160917_111325525.jpg

Somehow missed this thread and figured I should cross post the storage area from my build thread: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1081640

I was/am really happy with how this turned out. It's hard to keep it nice yet functional at the same time!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A few pictures of my storage area. Goals:

-Keep the back area organized
-Stash the high reach and other heavy stuff in case of accident
-Add multiple tie down points including extra spots for for child seats
-Maximize storage volume while keeping it low profile (ended up about 6" tall, basically what the high reach needed plus 1/2" extra margin)
-Make something tidy

Result:

7DSC_0888Custom.JPG

-Structure is all 3/4" plywood. Center spar is double thick so each cap has a good landing surface. Hardest part was keeping it all square since the seat back isn't all that straight. One side is actually a 1/4" longer than the other to avoid any gaps.
-It's wrapped in amplifier felt (almost like the factory carpet), needed 4 square yards.
-Tie downs are the Chevy pieces from the Tahoe's, Suburban's and even a variety of vans.
-Latches are an over center part from McMaster.
-A single piano hinge was sliced in two on one side of the hinge only to allow the two leaves to move independantly.
-All the day to day crap is on the left (cables, cb, ratchet straps etc).
-All the recovery gear is on the right (tire chocks, tackle, rock straps).
-Need to add so gas springs so these stay open will parked on an uphill but otherwise I'm stoked on it.

Joel

SO AWESOME!!!

I got a ATV receiver cargo basket that has the open side and just put legs on it. Cost me all of $65 and the fit is perfect. I will grab a pic when i get a chance.

Forgot to add this yesterday, here's the organizer that sits under the lid. Fairly roomy, I haven't finalized what gear will ride in there yet.

I am to the point where I just leave the lower rear seat cushion at home when I go wheeling (more room for gear, and I can lay down in it if needed), so I like this setup a lot, but I have to wonder if it interferes with seat travel?

XJ%20Back_zpsz5pgzogs.jpg

Mine as it sits now. Up next for back there will be a Viair tank on the other side w/ARB compressor.

Let's see some more!!

On my last TJ I had a pull out drawer, but unfortunately I have no pictures of it. I removed the rear seat and built a platform that raised the floor 8 or 10". The platform was built from plywood and covered in carpet. Under the platform was a drawer I also made from plywood. For the drawer slides I used slides that are commonly used for trucks with slide out battery compartments or on emergency vehicles with pull out shelves for rescue equipment. The slides aren't cheap, but they hold up to carrying hundreds of pounds without getting destroyed in rough environments. In my drawer I had all my recovery equipment, spare parts, air tools, etc. It worked flawlessly for years and I never had to move anything I had on top of the platform to get to the stuff in the drawer which was the best part!

Edit: I forgot to add the slides are FULL EXTENSION which means that the drawer comes all the way out to its back edge allowing you to get to stuff all the way in the back of the drawer easily.

I did a quick google on battery compartment drawer slides and this was the first thing I found just to give you an idea:

https://jet.com/product/detail/00b3..._pla-161709602220:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&ds_c=[*Campaign*]&ds_cid=[*CampagnID*]&ds_ag=[*Adgroup*]&product_id=00b3c64edc1148b3a3d95591941144b7&product_partition_id=161709602220&gclid=Cj0KEQiAy53DBRCo4en29Zvcla0BEiQAVIDccz8EpXcAnJ2x4EvUccAaaXpP5TTm9MSTzqLnucX8-dIaAl7P8P8HAQ

btttttttttttt

This was mine. I used it to haul tools before I got my garage built. 3/4 birch, paddle latches, quick storage in the back, 100lb slides.

Now it just sits in the corner until I find a use for it again.

RzmxybT.png

ByUm3Qj.png

0h04cHD.png

Nearly finished with this project.

I made some brackets that bolt upright to the wheel wells and a platform that rides on top of my 33x12.5 spare tire. The platform pivots where it attaches to the brackets. A Bestop cargo tray is secured to the platform to hold stuff. A cargo strap holds the whole thing down, including securing the tire. I'll finish it off by mounting some d-rings to the floor closer to the hatch than the rings that are shown in these images, but I'll have to drop the gas tank out of the way to do that so it'll have to wait for another day.

d857cc8f805b723b745b6356311e40ca.jpg

be98beeec506632f7762ad7d4d5d5264.jpg

7edc9d429cbc60a99d4d6359ed2eb04b.jpg

d9b4f716e0856ea32d719f74f24a8477.jpg

And since I'm posting images of my cargo area, I'll go ahead and include a shot of the co2 paintball bottle mounted in the cubby and used to activate my front Ox locker. (The line runs up the D pillar to the headliner trim and then forward and down the A pillar.)

7884f8651c67a499a1778dab1689b4a0.jpg

Here is mine for now, I'm about to do a hybrid cage so that'll change it a little bit. Eventually I'm going to cut the bottom off of a hatch so that I can lay the tire flat and put a rack across the back.
YfjovjS.jpg

rq4rhB1.jpg

jJKQqy1.jpg

DutchVDub:

Did you weld that horizontal bar directly to the seat brackets? Or did you fab up some kind of custom bracket? I'd be interested in seeing a better image of those details, if you'd care to post one. I've lately be mulling over my hi-lift mounting options and I like what you've done there.

Back