• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any body else ever done this?

Hobby

NAXJA Forum User
I can't be the only one who made this mistake, or can I? I Was driving down the Interstate at about 70mph today and came upon a steep down hill grade. I put it in neutral for about 3 miles and went to put back in drive when the road leveled out and instead I put in it Reverse. One of the dumbest things I have ever done. This woke me up, it locked up the rear wheels and I had it back in Drive in no more than 1-2 seconds. Everything seemed fine afterwords with the transmission, but I was wondering if I may have done any damage and should have it or anything else looked at.

Thanks,
2000xj 4.0 automatic with select trac.

I'm amazed that you even got it in reverse. In order to get my '97 in reverse I have to hold the brake down. Anyway, if the Jeep runs fine then I wouldn't worry about it. Sense it is an automatic the fluids in the torque converter would have been sloshed around alot, but if it held up I can't think of any reason it would have any problems. If it was going to break, it would have done so as soon as it got in reverse. Don't try it again though.

Wondering why anyone would put their transmission in neutral while operating on the road... If you have to stop quickly you're in for a surprise since it'll stop differently without the transmission/engine braking as well.

That said, I hope you didn't hurt anything man. LOL, just don't do it again!!!

you could have done some damage actually .you will find out .nothing you can really do about it now just drive it and see what happens.

Drain your trans fluid into a pan and sift it through a coffee filter for chips/grit. It will go slow but will work. Or drop the pan and look there too. Might want to do a few drain and fills as precautionary.

I'll BET you woke right up!
NOT good to throw it into neutral for that long...if you have cruise control and/or overdrive-that will take care of long downhills.
You could have easily hit over 80 mph or higher...and without the drag of engine/transmission to slow you down for the 'blue light special' you stand a chance of overheating and locking up brakes....
Possible damage IF it DID get into reverse and your rear axle tried to reverse would be universal joint damage- while you are under there draining and checking the transmission, grab the driveshaft and try moving it around, up and down, etc.
If the tranny did n't really make it into reverse, you caught it fast enough, then the jeep gods were smiling on you....

you'll have to take it out and get going 70 mph in reverse, then put it drive, so you even things out......i'm kidding...i'm kidding.........friend put their's in reverse at 45mph, just for a second...that was two years ago.....still no prob.s I would think if it was gonna do any serious damage it would have happened at the time of incident( I was being nice..really wanted to say screw up), good luck, hope it works out for you.

i did the same in my mj. no damage. also a friend did it in his moms grang prix when i was trying to teach him how to shift it "manually". It just made a horrible grinding noise.LOL

i slammed on the brakes once and my cousins dog came flying forward . it dropped my camaros tranny into reverse. i yanked it forward asap and had no problems with it . i sold it to my friend who drove it for 2 years after. so i wouldent worry . if you really want to do a fluid flush and filter change to get any particulits out of the oil. good luck

Don't you have to push in the button to go from D to R or from N to R. Wasn't this a clue?

After careful consideration I have moved this to the top of my list of dumbest things I have ever done. It was a wide open interstate at 4:00am and no one was around so I was not worried about picking up excessive speed and I was mainly just screwing around. There was never any grinding and If I hit the button to move the shifter in reverse I don't remember, I thought I just shoved it forward instead of backward. I'll check that out later when I am sitting still. I will probably just drain and fill the tranny and check the u-joints to make me feel better, and pray there is not huge chunks of metal in there. Thanks for the insight.

on ice it saved me a few times shifting to reverse while not being able to stop with enough room - turns out that in my case reverse and cranking the wheel moved me to the side enough that i missed my buddy's 4-runner...

um..yeah kind of.
My girlfriend thought it would be funny to shift me into neutral one time, missed neutral and hit reverse. I was going 110-120km/h and it locked the back wheels for about 50 feet or so and then stalled. Aside from the transmission shift points being all wrong until the next time I started the jeep (because I restarted it while still coasting), there were absolutely no ill effects. That was almost 4 years and probably 50,000km ago. '91 Aw4, 231, d35. To her credit, by the way, her ford automatic required the button be depressed to shift from drive to neutral.

Did that once myself with the XJ, maybe doing 45 descending Little Cottonwood Canyon below Snowbird/Alta, locked up the wheels and stalled then got it pulled over into a turn out that happened to be right there before I figured out what had happened, Thought I was in 3 shifting to OD some how?! was a couple years and many miles ago.

Back