• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D&C Extreme Cage Install

Ok so I hope those pics stick.

From what I understand if you hole saw the floor and drop the cage down then you can safely weld up the whole cage. At least that is what I have seen people on here do in the past.

A lot of cage builders drop the cage through the floor to weld and pull it back up through the floor after. You will not be able to do that with this kit the main hoop sits on the unibody rail and the rear spreaders sit were the shackle mounts are. You would also need to weld the floor back up and the sheet metal is thin so its a pain in the but. You need to use .024 wire for the floor or you will blow through it.

Another idea would be to cut down the tubing and build rocker boxes that the cage can be welded to.

Great idea, that's what I'm going to do! :cheers:

I will post picks of my headliner when I get it back in I think you will be pleased with my idea. I am going to cut in half and make mounting points in the middle of the roof. I am also going to put Boom Mat underneath it maybe the thermal one not sure yet.

I have some updates to my install of the D&C Extreme Cage. Everything is coming together well I did not realize how long it takes to install a cage and everything that needs to be modified during the process. The next few post will be updates of my install covering modifications that have take place throughout the process.

I installed Mac cargo rails and sprayed Durabak Smooth Grey with an undercoating gun. I chose to use the smooth version of Durabak because I did not want a scratchy surface that would tear up my families bare feet or rip the hair off my dogs when they are laying down on the floor boards. It took me two weeks to apply the Durabak Smooth two coats a day fir a total of one gallon in order to get the ruff look using the smooth version. If you do not have experience with Durabak Smooth I would not recommend using it with an undercoating gun this process was very timely and I was skeptical through the process.

IMG_0009_zpsvps6qrni.jpg

Here is a closer look at the Mac rail system I purchased these at Hot August Nights. Mac makes cargo tie down systems for all types of vehicles this system holds up to 1,500 pounds.

IMG_0010_zpsaxslqz46.jpg

Here is the back seat I forgot to mention that I sealed all seams with POR15 black seam sealer. The cage was painted by hand with POR15 black semi gloss.

IMG_0012_zpsqoric1qx.jpg

I welded in dimple die gusset in all four corners using 12 gauge steel this was not easy I had to be carful not to overheat the metal and melt the paint off the jeep it took me forever little by little I got it done. The cage does not shake when driving and the jeep has a completely different ride in good way. I feel like everything is more stable and structurally stronger.

IMG_0013_zpsgrrctfoj.jpg

Here is what it looks like from the front you can see the two dimple die gussets.

IMG_0014_zpsna9pal0w.jpg

IMG_0014_zpsna9pal0w.jpg

Here is the rear dimple die gusset.

IMG_0015_zpsunwmppk5.jpg

IMG_0017_zpsramdtsua.jpg

These gussets are above each front seat.

IMG_0018_zpsaa2tqm2x.jpg

Here is the front passenger seat.

IMG_0019_zpsrljdrmk5.jpg

The next thing in order is the headliner. In order for the headliner to fit above the cage I needed to cut in three different pieces. The headliner caught on fire when I was installing the cage and I had to rip it out. I screwed the headliner up however I am going to tackle some fiberglass work on each piece and reupholster it. I am also going to line the roof with light weight insulation prior to installing the headliner. When the headliner is complete the sun visor holes will be covered and it will be a lot stronger. I cant put the sun visors due to the front cross bar being in the way.

IMG_0015_zpsmrjdifbg.jpg

I like all those dimple die tie ins. Bed liner looks like it came out pretty nice.

Thanks the previous owner of the jeep had dynamat on the floor it took forever to remove it all I went through almost a gallon of xylene.

the cage looks sweet. What I done above my headliner is I bought a roll of aluminized insulation from lowe's and used good double sided tape and taped it to the cross members that go across the inside of the roof.
BTW that cage prolly wouldn't work for a 5 speed would it? doesn't look like there would be much space for the clutch pedal.

Back