• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Guru Req'd MAT sensor

rubiconron

NAXJA Forum User
I have changed the valve cover on my 88MJ to one from a 99XJ. The old CCV line ran from the top rear of the valve cover to a fitting in the manifold. In the rear of the manifold is a fitting for the MAT sensor.

Here's my question and a picture.
Can I cut and extend (splice) the wires for the MAT sensor and place it in the front of the manifold? This will relocate the CCV to the rear spot on the manifold (where the MAT was located) allowing me to use the factory vent from a 99+ XJ. In the picture below the green is the 99+ CCV line that I placed in the old MAT sensor location and the red is the MAT sensor and connecor that I relocated.

PS: Disregaurd the coolant all over the engine. I think I punctured a hose.

Valvecoverswap002paint.jpg

Any potential issues with this???

Thanks,
Ron

The farther you dump air ìnto the intake from the TB the better the chance of an imbalance that will likely cause a rich motor.
Most of the off center vacuum hookups are small (1/4" or smaller) the larger the hole (3/8th) the closer it gets to the middle.

Put the MAT sensor back where it was. Plug the front hole and put a "T" in the vacuum line port on the rear of the intake manifold. You don't need much vacuum to have the CCV work. Should only be fumes anyway unless there is a problem in your motor.
Just curious, Why change the intake from a nice cast aluminum one to the late style plastic one?

Go back to the RENIX valve cover, and run the hoses into the air box like your supposed too :p
If i absoloutly HAD to make your exact setup work (i wouldnt), i would leave the IAT sensor alone, and get a cap for the other hole in the manifold. Then run the CCV tube into the airbox like factory.

Last edited:
I'm not putting the old valve cover back on! I spend a lot of money fixing the old system only to have it not work correctly. The new valve cover gets rid of the baffles which were causing an issue with dumping oil on my air filter. This is after I had completely cleaned the valve cover and baffles out and replaced the baffle gaskets and replaced the valve cover gasket, and installed a completely new CCV system. My motor does not burn oil, it just sucks it up the fresh air intake and dumps it in my air filter and therefore all down the driverside of my truck.

Now back to my fix. I have no issue putting the MAT sensor back and extending the CCV to the old location. But, I just don't see how its going to matter one way or the other.

PS the old aluminum VC was showing its age with cracks that will only get worse and the new one is not plastic its steel.

Thanks,
Ron

keep the inlet nipple for the ccv system as close to the throttle body as possible, so as to keep the mixture distribution more or less "even". the iat won't care much where it is(just make sure the connections are good when you extend the wires, i soldered mine), i moved my iat to the intake tube on both my renix and my ho, they both ran better that way. you should be just fine.

Last edited:
Move the MAT to the air box and extend the pigtail(post filter). That will give you a slightly richer mixture in the winter but should help power in the summer. Its been done with no issues.

Throw the Renix cover away, keep the STEEL '99 valve cover and ccv system. As a matter of fact, kick that damn cover a couple times for me. The Renix ccv system's was always poor, at least for me. I alway's had oil leaking onto my air filter, even after working on the baffles. MADXJ has a writeup on converting an early HO ccv to the late ccv, and I think the early HO ccv is better than Renix's. Just my $.02.

The '99 cover uses those nice overtorque preventing grommet thingies.:confused1 I have to tighten everything Gorilla tight, and then the gasket is smashed out from under the cover.:doh: Those help prevent that.

Sorry, can't help with your actual question, but I thought I could throw U some support on your decision.

Back