• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start yesterday, starts today

Dirk Pitt

Adam Dowling
'96 XJ, 4.0, AW4...

Drove to work yesterday fine. Heading out for lunch it cranks strong, but won't start. Also, could not hear the fuel pump energize when turning the key to the on position.

At this point I assume it's a bad fuel pump and buy one.

Today, after work I come home and start to tear it down but try to start just for chits and giggles.

Fires right up.

At this point, there has got to be a troubleshooting procedure to follow. Is it the fuel pump or something else? Any suggestions?

I swapped the AC relay with the fuel pump relay yesterday and it still didn't start so I think I can eliminate the relay as the culprit.

I really would rather not change the pump if I don't have to, since it's a pain in the ass. There is no check engine light.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also should add...

In the last few weeks, I've been getting a hesitation in the morning. I pull out of my driveway and press the gas a little to accelerate and it feels like it falls on it's face. A second or two later it will kick right back in. This is the only time of day it seems to happen, the first start up of the day.

This also seems like a fuel pump issue, but I'm no fuel delivery expert.

i have had the same problem if yours is like mine you have no spark. i replaced plugs wire cap ect. and still 2 days later same problem since that time it has been 2 months and no problems. never figured out what fixed it or what is wrong and i would like to knwo also.

Adam, mine was doing the stumble when cold. I never even tried to figure out why, then the coil quit one night. Changed it & 2 days later I had to change the CPS. Haven't had the stumble since. Might want to check those. JIM.

Seems i have two threads going on this now...

I have plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor on order with the local dealer. They don't keep anything in stock it seems. They'll be here wednesday.

It's hard to troubleshoot when you aren't getting the symptoms any more. If it acts up again, I'll replace the CPS and do the checks 5-90 suggested.

Back