• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

infrared gun oil pan temps?

I had that problem (or thereabouts) when the PO had reused a bad exhaust flange gasket at the manifold to tail pipe gasket. My main overheating, and low oil pressure problem was when I came to a stop, only after getting off the freeway from a 1 hour drive, at a stop light. When I replaced that gasket my oil filter and coolant temps dropped about 20 F. And the Min oil pressure increased about 7 psi. The leak was mainly at higher rpms under load, which is why the 3 muffler shop inspections missed it for 3 years.

40 F difference is significant, very significant unless there is no oil in the pan..... You got me thinking again of putting a ceramic insulating pad on that side of the oil pan on mine. Or two steel clamps clamping some insulation just on the oil pan side of the pipe? I was about to do that to the 96 Ford Taurus before my son sold it. It had the pipe "3/4" from the damn oil filter between the engine and radiator. :eek:

The infrared radiation from the pipe may be part of it and the proximity to the oil pan never made any damn sense to me.

All my temp tests focused on the oil filter housing temp while the engine was running with the infrared tester. Have you tested it to compare???

Any of you with an infrared gun willing to take oil pan temps?

My passenger side seems to run about 180, but the driver side next to the downpipe is 220ish

Any of you with an infrared gun willing to take oil pan temps?

My passenger side seems to run about 180, but the driver side next to the downpipe is 220ish

Where did you take your measurements?

I went for a 20 mile drive after some maintenance this morning to heat up my AW4 and check levels. I crawled back under to take IR measurements when I got back home as it was idling in the garage:

Driver side: 180
Passenger side: 170

I took my measurements at the front lower corners of the sump. If I tried to take a temp measurement between the tubes of the header, it was around 205. I don't feel like that is really an accurate measurement of sump temperature though, as the pan is likely radiating a lot heat from the header at very close proximity.

Back