• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better worn piston longevity using skirt buttons ?

I would not sell it for the world, love it. Have not messed with the bi-directional stuff.

Big time saver on test data collection. I can get about a dozen data points at the same time (almost) compared 2-3 with single test devices. Also tells me fuel trim, which is a huge clue to the ECU's response to input sensor data.

One often needs to look for instantaneous response data to an action in under 1 second. I can see MAP, TPS, fuel trim, O2 sensor data all at once when I press or release the throttle. That is a huge help for miss diagnosis.

I saw your posts on the Snapon forum. How has your mt2500 treated you? I want one for this renix jeep and my old dodge truck. Can you use the bi-directional feature for the Renix jeeps?

I would not sell it for the world, love it. Have not messed with the bi-directional stuff.

Big time saver on test data collection. I can get about a dozen data points at the same time (almost) compared 2-3 with single test devices. Also tells me fuel trim, which is a huge clue to the ECU's response to input sensor data.

One often needs to look for instantaneous response data to an action in under 1 second. I can see MAP, TPS, fuel trim, O2 sensor data all at once when I press or release the throttle. That is a huge help for miss diagnosis.

I think we found a good deal on an MT2500, so we bought it tonight. Will be here in a few days.

I also have a smog machine. It needs some hardened hoses replaced. Works great for detecting even mildly damaged head gaskets.

Be sure to get the MT-2500 manual (great resource), and some of the software cartridge guide books for any cartridges you get, like transmission and Fast Track troubleshooting cartridges. I ended up with $375 total invested in mine but the time I got all the cartridges, keys, adapters and cables I needed for OBD-II US rigs and Renix Jeeps

I'll do a compression check here soon. Also, as soon as I repair my exhaust analyzer, I'll check to see if the head gasket is leaking combustion gasses into the cooling system.

Just got the smog machine running tonight! In the next day or two I'll check the cooling system overflow tank for combustion emissions caused by a leaking head gasket. I think there is not a problem, but it's nice to know before I rip this motor apart what is wrong with it. Here's the joyous video:

https://youtu.be/V1kO68R9Y4o

Be sure to get the MT-2500 manual (great resource), and some of the software cartridge guide books for any cartridges you get, like transmission and Fast Track troubleshooting cartridges. I ended up with $375 total invested in mine but the time I got all the cartridges, keys, adapters and cables I needed for OBD-II US rigs and Renix Jeeps

I'll look into getting some manuals. This system came with none of them as I recall.

The path to taking the engine apart to find out if the engine has piston slap or not, has a few items that I need to get done first.

The teflon material for making the buttons arrived the other day. Need to machine a couple prototype buttons.

Cleared a space in the garage to park the XJ.

:thumbup:Good luck!

Found references to piston skirt buttons on an MG forum. Buttons were normal faire a long time ago. Aluminum and bronze buttons were used before teflon was easy to find.

They also mentioned that anyone with a hobby lathe or better could make their own.

The end of the button that is facing the cylinder wall, is pointed, then turned, ground or shaved down to the length needed to allow clearance into the cylinder bore.

I'm thinking that the end of a button against the cylinder wall should be cross hatched or grooved so that it carries as much oil with it as possible.

Back