• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans cooler routing

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
First of all, I apologize if this has been asked here before. When installing a trans cooler how do most of you route the lines? Through the radiator cooler to trans cooler then back to trans or trans cooler to radiator then back to trans? (I want to keep the radiator cooler in the circuit to keep the trans from running too cool in winter conditions) Will pulling heat out of the fluid before it gets to the radiator cooler help to keep the motor cooler or is it better to cool it after it exits the radiator cooler on it's way back to the trans. How about two smaller coolers, one before and one after the radiator or am I bordering on ridiculous? I ran my Bronco's fluid through the cooler alone and it ran almost too cold (which isn't good for an auto trans either) during the colder months and on snow trips. So.....opinions?.........Hans

Oatmeal said:
First of all, I apologize if this has been asked here before. When installing a trans cooler how do most of you route the lines? Through the radiator cooler to trans cooler then back to trans or trans cooler to radiator then back to trans? (I want to keep the radiator cooler in the circuit to keep the trans from running too cool in winter conditions) Will pulling heat out of the fluid before it gets to the radiator cooler help to keep the motor cooler or is it better to cool it after it exits the radiator cooler on it's way back to the trans. How about two smaller coolers, one before and one after the radiator or am I bordering on ridiculous? I ran my Bronco's fluid through the cooler alone and it ran almost too cold (which isn't good for an auto trans either) during the colder months and on snow trips. So.....opinions?.........Hans
I've thought about this myself. I'm probably going to run the cooler before the radiator. It would help keep the tranny from running too cool and also help cool the motor.

Kyung

Put it after the Radiator. If you live in the lower 48 (or most of the populated part of Canada) the tranny running too cool is not an issue. Remember when you are wheeling you are generally going very slow. Very slow = very little air flow which in turn = heat buildup. If you are going to do the work to put the cooler on put where it can do the most good. JMO!

Glen

Back