• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nearly Stalls When Braking

in_motion

NAXJA Forum User
96 - 4.0 - AW4 - 2wd

For a little while now (2-3 months) I've had a problem where while I'm braking and coming to a stop, the engine will bog down to 500 or less RPM's, but as soon as I come to a complete stop, it pops back up to ~750. This happens more when the engine is warm and the bog down starts under 10 mph.

There has been a starting issue where about 40% of cold starts only happen when I also hold down the gas. I haven't tested the fuel system yet, but so far multiple primes before start make no difference.

I replaced the spark plugs and wires last week which has helped with the starting issue (maybe 30% failure to start now). #6 wire connector had sheared off in the boot so when I pulled that wire, the connector stayed on the plug! Battery and terminal clamps are new as of December.

I imagine the starting issue and stalling issue are related, but what should I check? Definitely going to get the alternator checked and probably the ignition coil as well.

Thanks, sorry for the book.

I've had that before with a leaking vacuum booster.

Oooh, I've been searching old threads for starting issues and this is brand new info, and that makes me happy. Have you done the repair or have guidance on that?

Oooh, I've been searching old threads for starting issues and this is brand new info, and that makes me happy. Have you done the repair or have guidance on that?

The cure for leaking vacuum booster is to replace it.
If doing so, be sure the brake rod, between the MC and booster is adjusted properly, with the right clearance or free play, to prevent the brakes from locking up, when hot.

Booster seems right. I had a similar issue with a damaged fuel pump wire so if all else check the wire harness

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back