• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When turning feel a slight pull in the steering wheel

supermini99

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone im just curious to what it could be I know its hard to diagnose a problem without actually seeing it. But here it goes anyway maybe sombody has had the same issue one before.

I went wheeling yesterday. Since then my XJ feels weird and wasnt the same so somthings up

When ever I turn my steering wheel while driving (turning/switching directions) I feel a slight wobble or pull in the steering wheel.My jeep doesn't have death wobble either. Not sure what this can be..

I had sombody turn my wheel while I was looking under my front end and their is no crazy creaking or anything really obvious maybe Im looking at the wrong things.. Please help thanks

-Vehcile Info-
88 XJ
32s
4.5 inch lift

maybe a unit bearing going bad? you could jack up each wheel and check for play. also sounds like the track bar could be loose, you could do a visual on that as well with someone turning the steering wheel as you look for play at the mounting points.

Does the pull happen in both directions or just one? Same spot in the turn (like, from straight ahead, at 3 oclock) or steady with the wheel off-center?
This could be a lot of things, from a worn-out or damaged joint in the steering to a bad valve in the power steering gear to blown up column bearings (this last one seems least likely to me, but can happen), etc
One way to narrow things down is to disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm and turn the steering wheel back and forth, then raise the front axle and turn it by hand. By isolating parts of the steering system from each other you can narrow it down to the guilty party a lot faster.

Sounds like a bad (frozen) front U-joint.

It is 4wd :guitar:..

Lifted up the XJ off the ground tryed shaking the wheels to check for play and seems to be no play what so ever just the normal turn left to right motion...

But I did realize the tie-rod end where it hooks up to the pitman arm was a little worn plus my Drag Link was bad..

Replaced both of those parts and the pull pretty much went away after..I mean its still there a little but not nearly as noticeable really gotta pay attention to it to notice..But you know what wheeler is perfect ? :wave1:

Make sure and check the ujoints.

Back