• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wow, Death Wobble Gone.

jcnoble

NAXJA Forum User
I upgraded from 31" bfg to 33" bfgs with new rims, trimmed fenders so they wouldnt rub. I test drove and it felt good so i decided to go hit the "death wobble" pothole. Wow, no death wobble. I even went on the highway and tried the for sure death wobble overpass which is at a 45 degree angle to the highway, this always put me into deathwobble. Wow, no deathwobble, not even a hint of it. I measured my toe in, was in at 1/4 inch compared to 1/16 on the 31's. I wonder if it is the toe or wheel tire combo or what? Wow! I love not having deathwobble.

Cant see my thread

Why cant i see my thread in the new posts??? Was called Wow, Death wobble gone. What are all the new changes on this site?

Re: Cant see my thread

increasing toe-in will decrease death wobble, but only serves to reduce symptoms, not cure the problem.

hippymill said:
increasing toe-in will decrease death wobble, but only serves to reduce symptoms, not cure the problem.

So what cures it. I had it bad with my old tires, but my new Dunlop Mud rovers don't have the issue, sometimes I can feel a hint of it, but it hasn't happened yet. I have a 3" lift with new shocks and a front end alignment, but the only thing that ever made a difference was the new tires.

I had the same problem on a stock jeep. Couple of my tires had bad belts and you couldn't tell even when they were taken off the rims. But when I rotated tires from jeep to another the vibes moved with it and then where gone when I put new tires on.

start checking for excess play in the steering components. All ball joints and TRE's are suspect. True death wobble occurs when you hit bumps at speed, and the steering jerks to one side or the other. It can almost seem like a harmonic thing, where the bump will cause the car to sway back ond forth as the steering components bounce back and for due to excess play.

hippymill said:

In my case it was the opposite. An INCREASE in toe in caused DW on my rig. When it was set to 0* toe in/out it was fine. The more toe in I gave it the worse it got.

does any one thing that a worn steering stableizer has anything to do with death wobble? I have an 88 with a 3" lift and a 93 with a 4.5" lift and both have death wobble

jayuu said:
a new heavy duty one will hide it. at least on my 93 it did.

Yes, it will HIDE it. I have a 91 XJ 4 inches of lift and 31's. Stock steering components, RE trackbar and lower arms. I run without a steering stabalizer with no death wobble as long as all the TRE's and the hiem joint in my trackbar are all tight.

Get under there and have someone move the steering wheel back and forth. Jack your jeep up and use a big breaker bar or somthing to lift the tire and check the balljoints. Something ain't right if your getting the dreaded DW.

Jeep on!

Back