• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux Fan doesnt work

redyouch

NAXJA Forum User
just picked up a 95 cherokee and the aux fan doesnt work. when the engine gets to 210 and above it doesnt go on. fuse and relay are good. what could it be? the temp sensor on the thermostat housing?
thanks
-chris

4.0L in XJ's run hot anyways, so my solution was to bypass the factory wiring, and run a switch to your dash with an inline fuse!! Works great for me, just don't forget to turn it on!

i kinda wanted something automatic. if i were to buy new dual electric fans, how would i wire up a temp switch for them??

Sorry! Can't help you there! My jeep was bought for trail use and it's a peice of crap!! If something electrical shits the bed (stops working) I usually run it to a toggle switch!!

my 93, when i first got it, the electric fan would only run with the a/c, but not when it got hot. when i looked closer, the coolet hose to the tank was off, and i had lost quite a bit of coolent. as soon as i filled it back up, the electric can started running. dont know why? maybe where the sensor is to turn it on, not getting coolent to it? who knows, but it fixed it.

redyouch said:
just picked up a 95 cherokee and the aux fan doesnt work. when the engine gets to 210 and above it doesnt go on. fuse and relay are good. what could it be? the temp sensor on the thermostat housing?
thanks
-chris

If the fan works when you switch on the A/C or defrost, the problem will indeed be the coolant temp. sensor in the t'stat housing. Before you change it, check the resistance across the two wires going to it with the engine hot. If it's much higher than 2000ohm, change the sensor.

On my 88 the aux fan was wired into the AC pressure switch. So when the R12 refrigerant got low the fan wouldn't kick on until the temp was in the red zone.

When I bought the jeep the AC didn't work cause of the low pressure. After a year of no AC I did the r134a conversion and suddenly my aux fan was working normally.

redyouch said:
i forgot to say that it doesnt go on with a/c or defrost

In that case the problem could be the relay. Try swapping it with another relay in the fusebox and see if that works.
If the relay turns out to be good, the next step is to find out if the fan motor itself works at all. To do that, "hotwire" the 12v power feed from the fan directly to the positive battery terminal and see if it works. If it doesn't, connect the ground wire from the fan motor directly to the negative battery terminal while you still have the fan "hotwired".
If the motor still doesn't work, it's burnt out and you'll need to replace the whole fan/shroud/motor assembly. That'll be a good excuse to get the quieter '97+ curved blade fan.

you can also put power to it directly to see if the fan motor itself may be dead. that is what happened to mine a few months ago. i ended up buying a newer style oem fan that had more blades.

i have done everything u guys suggested except hotwire it. its a 95, but it appears to have the thicker, 97+ fan on it. if the fan doesnt work, i would like to upgrade and get dual electric to replace it and the clutch fan. how many CFM do i need to replace both? thanks
-chris

Back