• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX to HO swap?

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up an 89 MJ that when I start it up, almost emediatly smoke starts rolling out of the crank case vent on the valvecover. So far the concensis is it's bad blow-by, so I'm thinking HO swap.

It's got that junk BA10 in it, and I'm thinking an AW4 swap at the same time since a 4.0/AW4/231 combo out of an XJ is a dime a dozen at the JY.

Is it a pretty strait forward swap? Pull the engine, trans, computer, and harness from the firewall forward? I have already switched it to an open cooling system so that's already done, and I dont have AC, so I don't have to mess with that either.

No, very complex swap. In addition to everything under the hood, you need the complete dash, steering column, interior wiring, and if you're swapping the OBD-II system(97-up) you need the full evap system and have to adapt the gas tank/fuel pump/vent system.
here's one:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1064932

A much simpler option is drop the HO engine inn your rig, and use all the sensors, fuel injection, TB, etc from the renix motor on the HO.

I has thinking keeping it OBD I(probably 91-92 XJ), but since I'd have to swap the dash and all that I think I will look into the HO/RENIX hybrid you mentioned.

So what all would I be able to use from the HO? Head? Intake exhaust manifolds?

It depends how you do your swap.

The quick and dirty method is to use the renix intake and exhaust, all sensors, etc, bolted to the HO long block.
If you want to(and don't have to worry about the emissions inspection), you can swap the HO intake and exhaust(or use a header) for the renix parts and do away with the EGR tube/system. This setup uses the late model throttle body, which will require adapters to use the renix sensors, and also requires the later style throttle linkage.

No, very complex swap. In addition to everything under the hood, you need the complete dash, steering column, interior wiring, and if you're swapping the OBD-II system(97-up) you need the full evap system and have to adapt the gas tank/fuel pump/vent system.
here's one:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1064932

A much simpler option is drop the HO engine inn your rig, and use all the sensors, fuel injection, TB, etc from the renix motor on the HO.

You don't need a complete dash...just the gauge cluster, and headlight switch as far as I can tell (I have an OBD-1 MJ that I converted).

The other issue is the difference brake light switches used throughout the years.

It's a bigger headache than most people think it is.

I've done a couple HO into Renix swaps like tbburg's quick and dirty method. Works great with few to no issues. You can re-use all the Renix sensors, the dizzy, flexplate or flywheel, and manifolds. Bolt together.

Don't forget about modifying the rear harness of the mj to match up to the dash harness of the HO. There's a few threads on CC that are really good about the wiring mods.

Yeah, still not sure how far I'm going to take this yet. Like I said I'm getting some bad blow-by, but I don't know if it's coming from the top end or bottom end yet. And I still do have some work to do behind the dash, speedo cable needs replaced, and I still need to find out why my gages don't work. It may be a situation of "Well I'm already in it this far, might as well"

Back