• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid ABS Question from another newbie

bwinter1946

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone tried to adapt the rear disc brakes and ABS sensors from a Jeep Liberty to a XJ 8.25 rear end and then used this combination in an Late Model (1999) ABS XJ that came with a Dana 35? I was wondering if it was simplier than going the Dana 44 route.

I know most people ditch the ABS but I would like it for my wife.

I did a search by "ABS" but found nothing. Perhaps I searched with the wrong input.

Thanks.

The Liberty rear disks should just bolt onto the XJ 8.25. Isn't the Liberty ABS a single sensor on the ring gear and not two axle shaft sensors like the XJ D35 ? You would need to trick the computer into seeing 2 signals from the rear axle.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply swap in the Liberty 8.25 and try to deal with the ABS signal ?

Are you building a trail rig and want ABS ?

The abs on a liberty does have the tone ring on the ring gear as opposed to the two axle shaft tone rings on the D35. But this should be easy to trick the ABS into seing only one signal as opposed to two. The ABS wheel speed sensors basically just send an AC signal corresponding to wheel speed. You could splice the two (+) and (-) wires together near the axle, then just run a wire from each splice to the single tone ring sensor on the housing.

As for swapping the entire axle into a cherokee.. Im sure it's possible, but it has a different suspension setup so I would imagine you would have to cut off all of the brackets and weld on spring perches and shock mounts.
heres the KJ rear suspension setup:
rear-susp.jpg

I think it would be an interesting swap if you wanted to keep the ABS and an 8.25. Why are you swapping out he D35 anyway? Are you going to bigger tires? Let us know what you decide

The tone rings involved in the swap will need to have the same amount of teeth in a revolution or the puter will see fubar'd wheel speed readings..... Some abs systems also look at resistance of the speed sensors for self diagnostic purposes..... different sensors from different applications are commonly very different resistances.....

Thanks guys.

I did not know the Liberty used one tone ring on the gear.

There goes that idea.

Thanks for the info.

Back