• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight dimmer switch removal

ADVNTURR

I worry when rattles stop
I have a 91 XJ and a little while ago my headlights stopped functioning. At first I thought it was a loose wire but I have checked every wire I could find and nothing has helped. I went to the local dealership today and talked to them and they seem to think it is the dimmer switch that has gone bad so I had them order me a new one. My questions is how do I remove the switch. I already have the fachia of the dash off so getting to the switch isn't a problem, I just don't know what holds it in place.

If someone could let me know what I have to do to get the switch out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

IIRC .... There is a little spring-loaded pin on one of the sides of the switch. Push it in as you completely pull out the knob/shaft.

That will then allow you to remove the switch body retaining nut.

Before you start check to make sure the headlight's ground is still attached. It is on the driver's fender, in the engine compartment about midway between the radiator support and the firewall. Pull out the screw, clean off the paint, apply some oxgard and reassemble. That will confirm you have a good ground.

A couple of months ago I changed my igniton switch and in order to do that you have to remove the dimmer switch. You remove the two bolts holding the column and let the column drop, leave the bracket attached to the column. You will then see the dimmer switch on the left and the ignition switch on the right.

I purchased a set of metric ignition style wrenches and used the 8, 9 and 10 mm. I got my set at Sears.

IF you are chaning the dimmer switch go ahead and change the ignition switch it only one more bolt you have to remove. Also they sell two versions of ignition switchand it depends if you have tilt column or not which one you buy. My buddy who helped me said he has noticed the ignition switch usually fails after 125,000 miles so if your close it cheap insurance.

I also recommend while you have the dash apart to change the headlight switch. I had mine fail a week after I changed the ignition switch and I was on a trip at the time. Oh what fun changing it in the parking lot of the parts store at 7 pm.

I think I paid $9 for the ignition switch with a lifetime warranty at O'Reilly Automotive. I paid $12 for the headlight switch 200 miles from home at Adavance.

If you have any more questions just ask.

Back