• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft question

BLUTO

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to order Tom Woods SYE and driveshaft for my 2000XJ, 242 TC, AW4 tranny, 3" lift, 31 x 10.5 x 15" tires. i went to their website and on the "measuring" page they ask which of the three driveshafts you want to order.
My question is: Do I get the double-cardan (CV) style, the Standard Slip (2 joint), or the Reverse Slip (2 joint)? My present driveshaft is a stock, double U-jointed unit.
I don't plan on doing any mud-bogging, big rock climbing, or jumping ravines....mostly DD. Occasionally, I'll go offroad...but I need a reliable "work-and-back" Jeep without the vibrations.
Already shimmed the rear axle 2* and using 1" TC drop, still got a few vibes at 65 - 75 mph.
Thanks,
BLUTO :)

The only reason for a double cardan is if the angle between the transfer case output shaft and the drive shad=ft exceeds the recommended operating angle for a single u-joint. The double cardan is two u-joints in a single housing, so for the same total angle, each u-joint only has to run at half the operating angle. On the other end, because you now have three u-joints in the system, you have to shim the rear axle so the pinion is at the same angle as the drive shaft.

If you expect to go higher in the future, go double cardan. At 3", I think I would probably stay with a standard shaft, with two fixed yokes and a slip joint in the shaft.

Thankyou,
Does the double cardan have any disadvantages? Do they wear out faster? Cost 5x more than U-joints? Bind-up? After reading about the angle difference between the TC and rr diff. I don't see a problem in the future with extreme angle differences.

BLUTO :)

Back