• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

0331 HEAD

2000-2001 had the factory 0331 head. That is the head with the casting defect between cylinders 3-4.

There were some rumors that some very, very late mfg. 99's had this head too, but I have never seen any confirmation of it.

2000-2001 had the factory 0331 head. That is the head with the casting defect between cylinders 3-4.

There were some rumors that some very, very late mfg. 99's had this head too, but I have never seen any confirmation of it.

Correct for XJs, but the years for all 4.0s is 00-02, with the new casting "TUPY" 93+, but as Birchlake said, look before you leap 99 and up.

Its not to say that all the 0331 heads are going to go bad either... just that they are more prone to the issues... I have seen many 0331's going strong for a long time with no issues. But I have also seen them crack at 80k... But I am at 150k and no issues.

Correct for XJs, but the years for all 4.0s is 00-02, with the new casting "TUPY" 03+, but as Birchlake said, look before you leap 99 and up.

Fixed.

Sure its a typo, but 03+ for the Tupy head

I've been having problems all day like that. :cheers:

Its not to say that all the 0331 heads are going to go bad either... just that they are more prone to the issues... I have seen many 0331's going strong for a long time with no issues. But I have also seen them crack at 80k... But I am at 150k and no issues.

Agree, something like 286,000 total production for 00-01, not all would have been 4.0s, and there will never be an actual accounting of all the cracked heads.

Back