• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE install, stripped 10mm bolt...

St3mpy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, everything was going smooth,and well,it's always something. I got to the top 12 point 10mm bolt, and well, it's stripped to kindom come now. Any suggestions? I'm really pissed right now. What's the point of that thing anyways?

Helicoil is fine if the hole is stripped, but I think you're speaking of the bolt head, correct?

If so, weld a nut on it, or grind two sides down flat to get a wrench on the nut. You can also grind the bolt head off to remove the case half, then back the remaining stud out with vicegrips.

Pounding on a slightly smaller SAE 12pt. socket may also work.

Are you doing this on the vehicle or on the bench? If on the bench, since it's the top one you can also try forcing it out from the back by double-nutting a pair of M10x1.50 nuts on the bolt. Once you back it out a little bit you can grab the head with a Vice-Grip and remove it. I replaced all my bolts with new M10x1.50 bolts yesterday; they vary in length according to their positions in the case so be aware of that.

Is this the one bolt on the case that is a through bolt with a nut on the front? If the case is in the vehicle that might be hard to notice.

I could be wrong though...

Yeah, it's still on the jeep, I'll try using vice grips again while using a wrench to back off the nut. It's afresh day, and I'm not mad....yet, so I can think straight agiain. :)

lapisxj - yeah, that's the through bolt with the nut and the clip for the wiring harness. I don't know if that stuff is accessible in the vehicle though. Maybe by dropping the crossmember and lowering the t-case a couple inches you could get at the nut on the front of it?

I got it. Ended up using the viesgrips as tight as the would go, and used a ratchet with a ujoint to get the weird anlge that the nut is on. After I got the nut off, I hammered on a 3/8 socket, and drove it out of the case. Now my problem is that my snap-ring pliers are a POS, gonna go swap those out.

Back