• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough idle

That will/can cause heat soak for sure, sounds like you figured it out!!!!

I had an overheating problem on mine that no one could figure out that turned out to be a reused but bad donut in the exhaust manifold outlet flange to the exhaust pipe. The muffler shops missed it. Showed up at high way high rpms. It was 1" from the oil pan blowing on the oil pan. Fixing it also increased my peak summer minimum oil pressure at idle after a long freeway drive.

That sounds more like a heat soak and or fuel pressure leak down issue after the pump/engine is turned off problem to me.

So today i got to work early and i let the car run while i listened to the stereo. I got the same symptoms of rough idling like a consistent misfire after 15-20 minutes of sitting idling. I have brown dog motor mounts/ straight pipe so when this happens its very noticeable.

After peeking around in the engine bay i have found my second from the grill cylinder/ exhaust manifold tube has a large crack. My theory is that at idle the heat is building through the intake and causing the previously mentioned heat soak. the crack is maybe like an inch+ on the out side of the exhaust tube.

what say you, good bet?

also this is not my stock manifold and is an oem replacement with the accordion looking flex areas, off topic, but im open to new replacement recommendations.

Carbon Monoxide is detrimental to human life forms, maybe more than Dihydrogen Monoxide...

Back