• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heat/leak exhaust/new exhaust.

TheManch

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of undercoating the interior of my jeep. I say process because i pulled my carpet before i got my license and now most of the time i am wheeling it not working on it (although i do love working on it). Anywho i noticed the rear tranny tunnel/hump and rear passenger floorboard are getting a bit warm for me not to care about them. I know that my stock exhaust leaks more than just a little bit. So here's my question, would a new exhaust help/cure the problem? Should i just get a new muffler and fix a few broken mounts, get a whole new cat-back system, or just say screw the muffler and get one pipe from the cat back (legal in MA?)? Will header wrap/heat shields work? I am looking for the lowest dollar solution and couldn't find one in my searches so let me know what you guys think. Sorry for the ridiculously long post.

Mike

Yet another converted jeep lover

I've noiced when wheeling my floor board gets HOT! and I don't have an exhaust leak, think its just the nature of the beast. I'm thinking on retrofitting some heat shields for another vehicle and putting down a thin reflective foil back insulation,I do some restoration work older cars and use it under the carpet ,definately reduces heat and noise.

The area above the cat gets really hot. On some years they even used a heat reflector in the carpet. I saw a cool fix for the heat somewhere. The guy mounted an air bake cookie sheet a quarter inch below the sheetmetal, above the cat. It worked great.

Hey Dude. Welcome to the board. I have not felt any warmth coming from my exhaust. The mufler does get hot, but I don't know how much. If your pipe does have a hole in it, replace it. For a heat sheild, reflective duct tape might work. I have seen it on some rigs. I'm not sure if you are worried about it on the trail, or driving around town. At speed, the heat will be pulled away. I looked at your profile and your 16 days older then me. Just thought you would like to know that random fact.

Welcome.
You'll find many of us on here have dealt with problems of one degree or another caused by the heat from the cat and muffler leading to condensation under the carpet padding and rotting out the floorboards. It's a function of the proximity of the cat and muffler to the floor rather than leaks - but any holes should be fixed or the offending pieces replaced for safety reasons.
I Herculined my interior after repairing the huge cancerous holes in my floor and haven't felt the heat since was bad enough to do anything about (I'm running a Borla system). Some have used the heat shields that DC put on the later XJs in this area. I don't know when they started, but my wife's 2001 had one. Others have fabbed up something for similar effect. By whatever means, the goal is to keep some of the heat from the cat and muffler from radiating directly onto the floor above them.
Good luck.

Thanks for all the help guys, i did build a heat shield out of some galvanized i had laying around that i got from school ( i am in welding/metal fab at a local trade school). It seemed to help but it was only over the cat not the muffler. It does rattle but i think that is only because of a few broken mounts. I really like the air bake cookie sheet idea maybe i'll give it a try if i can find one. i still haven't figured out what to do about the exhuat but i will probaly just get a new muffler and then weld up my broken mounts. If i just want to replace the muffler does anyone know the dimensions (for a replacement) and if i could do this myself? Thanks again for all the help, Starboard i'm a huge fan of interesting/slash useless facts, did you know that clorox bleach eventually breaks down to salt water?

Mike

Back