• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need answers

It will be much easier to get answers if you are more specific about what you want to use between the two.

It will also help if you can tell what mods are on each.

For instance, if the '01 has enough lift then you can use the high pinion front axle from the '96, but that only works if the '01 is lifted, or if the '01 has been modified such that it no longer runs the pre-cats in the header.

Depends.
The body styles are different and the 96 is the beginning of the OBDII era with a lot of that year only parts because it’s a changeover year.

Mechanically there are parts that you can use, but fuel tank, fuel pump, transmission is 91-96, transfer case might have some changes too. It’s all very similar but would have to be adapted to 2001.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I was trying is big mechanical parts are similar but the old body style and one year only parts don’t have a lot of interchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, the fuel pump/sending unit assembly will not transfer to any other year. That is a unique part to the '96.

I have a 2001 cherokee sport 4.0 4x4 and have a chance to get a 1996 cherokee classic 4.0 4x4 what all can I use off of the 96 on the 01

Go here:

https://xjjeeps.com/

Download the '96 and '01 Parts Catalogs. Might help. Also Napaonline. Lets say that you are wondering if the alt with exchange. Look it up for one of the vehicles. Doesn't matter which one. At the bottom of the screen you will see the words Buyer's Guide. Clicking on it will show all the vehicles that alt will fit in. Now I would not take what that says as gospel but thinking it is right more then it is wrong.

not a lot really, for better compatibility you will want 97-01 for complete compatibility you will want 00-01

you would be able to use things like the header panel, fenders, some of your interior light bulbs will be the same. but pretty much everything else will be different enough to become a pain in the ass, your hard parts, transmission, axles, engine will all be different, they could still be used with some modifications, but a 96 is not what you will want, it was pretty much a bastard year where things were switching to obdII and there are a lot of changes being made, in my opinion 96, 97, 98, 99 are only compatible completely to their own years. 2000 and 2001 as far as i can tell are identical to each other. i'd really suggest finding a 00-01 for a parts vehicle, they can be found pretty cheap.

Back