• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric water pump?

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever use one on a 4.0 XJ. A hot rod buddy of mine said that might help with the overheating problem. IE more flow and consistant flow at all rpms.
TIA

Overheating problem? How about fixing the problem instead of throwing a contraption at it?
Most if not all XJ's tend to run hot around 225 or a little hotter when on the trail just creeping around on a hot day. :nono:

From what I understand the weak link in the XJ cooling system is the size of the rad, and the CFM it can pull threw.
An electric water pump can be designed to increase flow through the rad, but it still won't have the necessary dwell time in the rad to cool the water. On a good note, it is good for probably 10HP though.

3 core or 4 core rad/better fans are a much better investment as far as I'm concerned.

It also runs more effecient, you can have the water flowing after the motor is turned off so you dont have to worry about hot spots...

I have wondered about running one but have enough issues every where else that I dont have the time to invest.

The large issue is due to the pulley set up you would need to do some funny routing of the cable or get an E-pump that still had a pulley on the housing as an idle pulley.

From what I understand the weak link in the XJ cooling system is the size of the rad, and the CFM it can pull threw.
An electric water pump can be designed to increase flow through the rad, but it still won't have the necessary dwell time in the rad to cool the water. On a good note, it is good for probably 10HP though.

3 core or 4 core rad/better fans are a much better investment as far as I'm concerned.
Makes since maybe I'll try that.

Cool. :) Big difference. Mine have run like that all the time but it's never been a concern. As long as all the stuff in the system is maintained I've never seen it be an issue... I'm also not a fan of running extra, complicated 'stuff'. What happens if the pump dies? How do you circulate?

Cheaper and easier option is to change to a colder thermostat and an electric fan switch that turns on earlier.

Don't forget that the system was designed to work well stock, most of the overheating issues I come across are because of poor maintenance, (not flushing the fluid/changing the thermostat).

Cheaper and easier option is to change to a colder thermostat and an electric fan switch that turns on earlier.

Don't forget that the system was designed to work well stock, most of the overheating issues I come across are because of poor maintenance, (not flushing the fluid/changing the thermostat).

cooler thermo, and e-fans that come on earlier won't solve the problem at all, only delay it.

if your overheating start small/cheap and work your way to bigger/expensive.

a quick flush could remove some cluttered crap in the system (could also move crap and make a problem worse however)

pull your water pump and ensure the blades are still there (a thread not long ago showed the fluid had eaten the blades away)

drain old, and change the fluid to the proper mix

ensure your clutch fan is working properly, if your overheating when going fast it could be stuck on which creates a void where air can't move thru the rad because the fan is creating a wall

make sure the thermo is working, or just replace it ($15max) and why not carry 2 they are that cheap.

if all else fails, look into a new rad, my buddies 2005 TJ just had to replace his cause enuff mud and dirt and crap had gather between the condensor and the rad to rust out the rad and block air flow to the bottom 1/4 of the rad.

I know I use a hose (water) and/or compressed air (just not to close) to blow any bugs, leafs, etc from the rad... flush from the engine bay out, the way the stuff came in.

find out whats wrong, don't just toss parts at it in hopes of fixing it.

An Electric Water pump is a very common mod for most Hot Rods and Drag cars because it can be turned off when you want to take your pass so you don't have that load on the motor (much like moving to an all electric fan set up on the jeep). And then can be left on while the motor is off so over heating when the motor is turned off does not occur since your water temp in the block goes up a fair amount after the engine is turned off.

what would be a good set up would be a 3-4 row radiator with an all electric fan set up with electric water pump. You would have a lot less load on the motor (Electrical system will need to stay in check) and you will have a lot more control on the temp then you did before since you can control the flow, and the cooling both. And do what a lot of turbo guys do or some imports that will keep the fans running a few min after turning the motor off, you can have the water pump on the same relay so it will keep the coolant flowing.

While looking at an electric water pump should not be a fix to the over heating it would provide quite a few benefits.

Back