• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

recommondations on a good steering box for xj?

Err, I literally just told you....

More info than you probably care to dig through, here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1103429'

EDIT: are you asking about mods to the WJ steering? Might want to ask in an WJ forum, not an XJ one.

Info is good. Thanks for the link. gotta edumacate myself. "Change the flux capacitor" doesn't help if you don't where to find it.

I have an XJ and feel this forum appropriate. oh I see... I omitted the word PUMP from post #39..... I have a WJ PUMP. It's going on my XJ.

Last edited:
Awesome, misunderstood your post. I will be doing this mod soon on my son's 97, and pending on my 90. I'm hoping to go hydroboost brakes on the 90 so volume is the more important thing.

They do- IF you don't swap out the regulator valve assembly to one from an XJ.

so left in original form (no swapping regs) the pump puts out 1800 pounds right?

Gotta swap high pressure regs FROM xj pump TO wj pump....

Last edited:
so left in original form (no swapping regs) the pump puts out 1800 pounds right?

Gotta swap high pressure regs FROM xj pump TO wj pump....

Yep, that is my understanding. I have one of each on hand, got to get the kid's old leaky PSP swapped out for the new one, then I'll steal the regulator assembly off the XJ, disassemble the WJ pump (remove the can, swapout the regulators and reassemble) and I belief a hole needs to be tapped. Then I'll R&R the pump off his and install WJ in its place.

To clarify, (and the details are in the thread I posted, so go read it, don't depend on Old Man Memory here :) ) it's a 01-04 WJ pump off a V8-equipped vehicle. They have a hydraulic cooling fan (I know, wierd) and so the tank has two returns. Plug one of them with a length of hose and a bolt, or a better method if you have it (I will be using one for HB return). Having removed the tank in order to gain access to remove the regulator assembly, swap it out for the XJ stock part. You will see folks talking about drilling out the fitting. I urge you NOT to, until you've tested... and even then, go very slow with enlargening that hole- a little goes a long way.

There is a thread that needs to be tapped on some of the pumps and depending upon the XJ you're bolting this into. You're on your own there. Details are in that thread, IIRC.

Reassemble, refill, test.

*If you are at all uncomfortable with the work or results, don't do it. You're responsible for your own safety, and this is a life safety system for you, your passengers, and those on the road with you!*

Good luck!

It's my understanding this works exceptionally well with the Durango steering box mod.

Also, if you don't swap out the pressure regulator fitting, put a bucket under your steering gearbox, especially the sector output shaft. At approx 1900PSI it's apt to be launched from the box, with all your fluid.

*CUE the guys who'll say they installed it without mods and it worked fine. Because Internet*

Pretty sure this should be a steel ujoint at each end. I know when I upgraded the steering on my S10 (to get rid of said coupler), I used an XJ shaft and it worked a treat.

EDIT: didn't realize the very early XJs had a rag joint. This is most definitely a distinct possibilty for the slop! Gonna suck if this guy just spent $800 on a steering box to replace the perfectly good $50 junkyard pull and still didn't get rid of the slop for want of a $40 later-model XJ shaft.

nah, I have no problem getting quality parts. got the box in, haven't had a chance to test it out on the highway though. does feel tighter, but the Durango box was also fine at low speeds.

Back