• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will my stroker beat CRASH's stroker?

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I gotta be able to beat CRASH back to camp after running trails, and we're both getting strokers in this spring, so just for fun, I wonder what opinions are on whether mine or his will have the advantage. He'll have to put his specs up here, but here's mine.

Renix motor, 258 crank and rods, stock 4.0L 0.30 over pistons, stock head, Crane 753901 cam, 58mm bored Renix TB, Clifford header, 2.5" exhaust and Dynaflow muffler with no cat, 24lb injectors with 49psi FPR. The compression ratio is high (10 to 1) so it'll run premium gas. Good valve job, new springs, etc., but otherwise no special head work or machining.

CRASH, what will you end up with?

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and do some head work, port matching, polishing, etc., or will I have enough to keep with him without all the time and labor to do head work. Superior driving and suspension design will give me the edge, as long as my motor is as good or better than his. :D :D

Don't rule out all the high-tech URF mods that he'll have up his sleeve.......

Sorry to burst your bubble Goatman but when I've finished my stroker it'll blow away both yours and Crash's. ;)
Specs will be '00 4.0 block bored +0.020, 258 crank & rods, Sealed Power 677P pistons, Crane 753905 cam, Mopar Performance springs/retainers, 9.5:1 CR, Ported '92 HO head, 62mm TB with 62mm TB spacer, Borla header, 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, Ford 24lb injectors, MAP adjuster, JET Stage 2, 180* t'stat, Flowkooler water pump, dual electric fans.
Also have polyurethane front/rear swaybar bushings and HD gas shocks to take care of the twisties.
4.6L stroker (under construction)
- Websites -
Jeep 4.0 performance, 4.6L stroker build-up
- Tech Webpages -
CTS resistor trick, Dual electric fans, IAT sensor relocation, Intake manifold heatshield, MAP adjuster, Oil temp. gauge install
- Info Pages -
Automotive formulae, Jeep 4.0 cam specs, Jeep engine dyno graphs

Well, Dr D, mine is built for hauling ass through the desert.......after finishing a good, hard, rockcrawling trail. :)

I figure I better get a stroker, 'cause right now I run flat out, and the 'ole 180k '88 Renix, with only 10psi in the tires, doesn't get me much above 55-60 mph unless I'm going slightly downhill. I have to watch my back because the guys, like Jes, Hinkley, and FlexyXJ with the newer HO motors, blow right past me when the road smooths out. Farmer Matt, with his Clifford stroker, can take me anytime as long as he watches ahead for the big whoops.... :D

I'm getting my bumpstops dialed in (the rears are working great), and I have some Sway-A-Way nitrogen charged, remote reservoir shocks coming by the end of Mar, so when the stroker goes in I'm anxious to see what it'll do.

I don't get to have a Jet chip, and I'm not going to mess with a nicely ported HO head, with a little larger TB, but it still should be a significant improvement over what I have now. With all of my heavy rockcrawling gear...big axles, bumpers, roll cage, etc, plus all the tools and parts that I carry.....I'm probably almost 1000 lbs heavier than you are. But, I'd still take you on if we're on a dirt road. ;) Oh, and BTW, be careful with that D35 rear end. A good friend did a real nice 4.7L stroker, built by his neighbor who builds race car motors, and he blew out his D35 ring and pinion on the street less than two weeks after the stroker went in.

Hey, where's CRASH?

Last edited:
Richard, I think you should leave the muffler off to retain that Jaws fishing boat sound (jaws music...)

Are you gonna get that welder fixed, or start carrying 3 batteries around? Better add that weight to your estimate, lol. BTW, the motor sounds killer.

Dan

Dr Dyno, I’m trying not to sound dumb here, but why are you using a ’92 head instead of a newer head and intake? I thought that the ’96 and up heads and intakes were supposed to be better. On another note; does the JET Stage 2 chip give you any hp gains above and beyond the adjustable MAP sensor? I built and installed a copy of your adjustable MAP sensor and I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth it to buy the chip too.

I have my original '92 head as a spare so that's why I'm using it. The '91-'95 heads are the best 4.0 heads for performance anyway. I'd like to get my hands on a '99+ intake manifold but the only one I could find in a junkyard over here was being sold for nearly $200. I wasn't going to pay that much so I rejected it. There's one being sold on e-bay right now and I hope I can win the bid.
I've had my JET Stage 2 for 6-1/2 years so I've decided to keep it. It hardly makes any difference except at higher rpm.
I'm aware that the D35 might be a weak link in my drivetrain when I get my stroker installed. I'm going to be careful with it initially (I'll be breaking in the engine anyway) and not do any hard launches until I know what the limits are. I have 225/70R15 tires that are only 27.4" diameter so I think the lighter wheels will be less stressful on the rear axle and reduce the risk of breaking it.

Goatman said:
Well, Dr D, mine is built for hauling ass through the desert.......after finishing a good, hard, rockcrawling trail. :)

I figure I better get a stroker, 'cause right now I run flat out, and the 'ole 180k '88 Renix, with only 10psi in the tires, doesn't get me much above 55-60 mph unless I'm going slightly downhill. I have to watch my back because the guys, like Jes, Hinkley, and FlexyXJ with the newer HO motors, blow right past me when the road smooths out. Farmer Matt, with his Clifford stroker, can take me anytime as long as he watches ahead for the big whoops.... :D

I'm getting my bumpstops dialed in (the rears are working great), and I have some Sway-A-Way nitrogen charged, remote reservoir shocks coming by the end of Mar, so when the stroker goes in I'm anxious to see what it'll do.

I don't get to have a Jet chip, and I'm not going to mess with a nicely ported HO head, with a little larger TB, but it still should be a significant improvement over what I have now. With all of my heavy rockcrawling gear...big axles, bumpers, roll cage, etc, plus all the tools and parts that I carry.....I'm probably almost 1000 lbs heavier than you are. But, I'd still take you on if we're on a dirt road. ;) Oh, and BTW, be careful with that D35 rear end. A good friend did a real nice 4.7L stroker, built by his neighbor who builds race car motors, and he blew out his D35 ring and pinion on the street less than two weeks after the stroker went in.

Hey, where's CRASH?

having ported my 88 head, i can tell you that there is a lot of metal you can shave off by just doing a gasket match of the ports, you wont be surprsied why the newer ones are "HO" as the ports are so small, so do a good port job alongwith a 3 angle valve job and you are good to go.

Ravi

Dr. Dyno said:
I'm aware that the D35 might be a weak link in my drivetrain when I get my stroker installed. I'm going to be careful with it initially (I'll be breaking in the engine anyway) and not do any hard launches until I know what the limits are. I have 225/70R15 tires that are only 27.4" diameter so I think the lighter wheels will be less stressful on the rear axle and reduce the risk of breaking it.

Yeah, my friend was running 33's with 4.56 gears......you're much better off with the smaller tires as far as reliability goes.

Richard - Don't know if you will beat him; but I do know it will go 100 MPH easy!! You will NOT be able to go flat out - unless you go to Bonneville!

Dr. Dyno said:
Sorry to burst your bubble Goatman but when I've finished my stroker it'll blow away both yours and Crash's. ;)
Specs will be '00 4.0 block bored +0.020, 258 crank & rods, Sealed Power 677P pistons, Crane 753905 cam, Mopar Performance springs/retainers, 9.5:1 CR, Ported '92 HO head, 62mm TB with 62mm TB spacer, Borla header, 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, Ford 24lb injectors, MAP adjuster, JET Stage 2, 180* t'stat, Flowkooler water pump, dual electric fans.
Nothing matters if it won't smoke down 38 swampers from a stand still. Seriously...I built mine cause I blew the motor up and it was much more expensive than stock rebuild. I used every part in it new other than the block and the head and still only spend a grand or so(owning a shop did help keep the cost down).Used a renix motor, lightened rods, .30 pistons nothing fancy just cast, crane cam , little port work etc.. but the joy is hooking it up to a 9" with 5.38 gears, a detriot and melting down a set of 38's from the light and dont even get me started on the donut fun....

I'm wondering why you all are using the short, heavier 258 rods with your strokers? A longer will give a better rod ratio, better rod angle and more dwell time at TDC. I understand the cost aspect, but if you're gonna go to the trouble of building a stroker, wh ynot maximize your potential? Plus, you get a full range of compression ratio options...no need to use overpriced 91+ octane gas...

Does anyone have any information regarding emissions readings after building a stroker (long or short rod)? I'm contemplating a stroker for my '94 HO, but I live in a state where I have to pass an IM240 "dyno" style emissions test. I don't want to build a nice motor for my daily driver, only to flunk the emissions test. Anyone have any first hand experience in this department? Thanks!

Andy

AndyS said:
I'm wondering why you all are using the short, heavier 258 rods with your strokers? A longer will give a better rod ratio, better rod angle and more dwell time at TDC. I understand the cost aspect, but if you're gonna go to the trouble of building a stroker, why not maximize your potential?

While the benefits of longer rods are well known, you have to combine them with shorter pistons to build a stroker. Since the only ones available are custom forged items that cost $500+, many will baulk at the idea of spending that much on pistons alone. The other disadvantage of these pistons is their tendency to slap in the bores when cold and the shorter skirt causes them to rock, thus making the engine sound like a diesel. This leads to another possible issue of long term reliability. If the pistons are slapping around in the bores so much, there's a greater chance of accelerated cylinder wall wear and damage to the piston skirts.

Here I am!

I am using Eagle 258 rods, venolia forged pistons, 9.2 to 1 compression, Isky 133125/26 hybrid cam, 26 lb injectors, AEM AFPR, Pacesetter header, 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust, 58 mm TB.

Oh, and a nice little blue bottle for those quick passes. :D

CRASH

Goatman,

You should throw a HO head off a 91 + XJ and install the intake manifold off a 1999 4.0...the intake alone is good for some 10-15 horsepower gains especially on a Renix 4.0. Take a look at someone's 1999 to see the difference. There's a link at the Austrailian "Go-Jeep"

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeManifold1.htm

Randy

Last edited:
What about the EGR port, don't see a boss on the 99+?

I have a 99 XJ as my DD, the intake is awesome, but I think they are a PITA to retrofit to the Renix.

CRASH

AndyS said:
I'm wondering why you all are using the short, heavier 258 rods with your strokers? A longer will give a better rod ratio, better rod angle and more dwell time at TDC. I understand the cost aspect, but if you're gonna go to the trouble of building a stroker, wh ynot maximize your potential? Plus, you get a full range of compression ratio options...no need to use overpriced 91+ octane gas...

Does anyone have any information regarding emissions readings after building a stroker (long or short rod)? I'm contemplating a stroker for my '94 HO, but I live in a state where I have to pass an IM240 "dyno" style emissions test. I don't want to build a nice motor for my daily driver, only to flunk the emissions test. Anyone have any first hand experience in this department? Thanks!

Andy
In VA a way around the IM240 test is to only have FT 4wd.
Subarus only get the sniffer and visual...or a V8 ZJ.
Just a thought.

Goatman said:
I have to watch my back because the guys, like Jes, Hinkley, and FlexyXJ with the newer HO motors, blow right past me when the road smooths out. Farmer Matt, with his Clifford stroker, can take me anytime as long as he watches ahead for the big whoops.... :D

You got OWNED on the lakebed in JV! I thought you were slowing down to let me by. :D

Jes

BTW Randy, I like your avatar pic. Sunbonnet?

4WDXPRT said:
Goatman,

You should throw a HO head off a 91 + XJ and install the intake manifold off a 1999 4.0...the intake alone is good for some 10-15 horsepower gains especially on a Renix 4.0. Take a look at someone's 1999 to see the difference. There's a link at the Austrailian "Go-Jeep"

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeManifold1.htm

Randy

Too much work, Randy. It's enough to have to pull the motors and replace them, and all the other stuff, without a major re-fit process with another head or intake. Originally, this stroker project started to give me better performance on those long drives to the trail. Now I'm mostly trailering, so the stroker will be for those fast runs across the desert to and from the trails. I'm after a very basic, simple, stroker that isn't taking a ton of time to put together. The increase in performance over my old Renix 4.0L will be significant, and there is a diminishing return in performance gains over time and money spent. I think I'll be pretty happy with what I have...........as long as I can beat CRASH.....and Jes.....and Hinkley.....and Joe......

:D :D

Back