• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

guages die when airbag light comes on, wtf? check engine light on

rockhard4x4

NAXJA Forum User
so when i bought my jeep the kid told me there were some guage problems, (99 4.0 auto)

the guages work fine, except sometimes when driving the airbag light will come on and then the rpm and mph will drop to 0 and not work, about a minute to 3 minutes later the airbag light will go off and the guages will work again, sometimes its only like 30 seconds later, wtf is going on? is there a way i can disengauge the airbag so the light wont come on and the gauges will be fine?

also the truck has a check engine light on, code numbers, p1687 and p1494

i need to go to autozone and find out what they are, my buddies scanner dosnt tell you what it is, just the number, and i cant find much online

The plug to the gage pod probably needs to be cleaned. You have to pull out the whole gage cluster pod which disconnects the plug when you do that. Clean contacts and reinstall. This is not an airbag issue. If you search here, you can find links to the codes, but I would fix the dash plug first.

Is your Google broken ? Jeep trouble codes are posted everywhere.

Check the fuses, check the ground connection for the airbag sensor under your floor console and then Search Naxja for the instructions to clean the connections behind your instrument panel. No Bus is a good search term.

update, found that the elbow to the manifold from the ldp was rotting away, put on a new hose, scanned the truck, two codes, 1st one was that it needs a 02 sensor (the back one) and the second one is p1494

says ldp defective, open or shorted circuit condition, or solenoid defective

is there a solenoid for this that i can check? can the whole thing be bad?

the gauge problem was not found by the scanner

P1494 often can be fixed by purchasing a new gas tank cap. Inspect all the vacuum lines and fittings for leaks.

No bus means a failure to communicate. The instrument cluster connections is a common source. Other sensors or systems will show a no bus if they malfunction. No bus is a generic trouble code, it never indicates the source of the problem.

the guages work fine, except sometimes when driving the airbag light will come on and then the rpm and mph will drop to 0 and not work,

Thump the top of the dash with your open hand right above the A/C vents in the middle..... The problem will go away for about 3000 miles....

Repeat as necessary........

Thump the top of the dash with your open hand right above the A/C vents in the middle..... The problem will go away for about 3000 miles....

Repeat as necessary........

i like that idea! also, im getting a new gas cap tomorrow actually because this one has a locking one on it and i dont like having to jump out everytime i get gas

im going to check and clean the guage cluster connection, thanks guys!

does anyone know the part number for the ldp solenoid and were its located? i searched but couldnt find a part number, or if i can loop the wires for it with a resistor to trick it into thinking its works so the light will go off, i know some people do this with other make vehicles on egrs

does anyone know the part number for the ldp solenoid and were its located?

Consult your Factory Service Manual, or look at the pic below. The Evap Cannister Purge Valve is circled, To its left is the A/C drier and to the left of that is the LDP in the passenger side corner. Check all the wires and vacuum hoses to these. Also check the hoses at the Evap Cannister located on the underside on the Cherokee next to the parking brake cable junction. The Evap Cannister has it own little skid plate.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Back