• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check guages light on

ryang007

NAXJA Forum User
I'll try to make a long story short. I had the serpentine belt replaced on my 99 xj sport. And since I've got it back its been nothing but problems. It squels like a pig then after a while goes away. the first time i was getting check gauges and my Temp would spike...took it back and had thermostat replaced. good so far on that one. Now got it back, was ok for like 2 days and is now squelling like a pig again and now i get check gauges and no voltage. Any ideas?

the belt is loose. or you got a sticking pulley.

BUT......since you just had the belt replaced, and then they may have pulled it again to replace the thermostat, it's not hard to figure out that 2+2=22 (or is it 4. i can never remember).

A coworker and I have had problems w/Goodyear Gatorback belts on our 97's. We both switched brands and havent had problems since.

if you are sure the belt is in good shape, and tight, look at your charging system. my battery was doing the same things to my jeep, no voltage, check gagues, I went as far as pulling the alternator, and it was just the battery. start there. head over to autozone and have them test it for free. if your belt is too tight, it will kill your alternator. low voltage will cause the AC clutch to slip and squeal like crazy

Last edited:
scorpio_vette said:
i'm still tipping on loose belt. check this

1) new belt
2) belt squeals
3) check gauges and TEMP SPIKES (water pump not turning properly)
thermostat seemed to fix that problem though.

have you had it up to temp yet since the Thermostat was replaced? they shouldn't have touched the belt to do that job.

temp problem seems ok...i only loose the voltage when driving...when i restart I get the voltage back, but will loose again when driving(seems to directly correspond to the squelling belt

will keep posted

I just went through the same scenario with a new belt It's slipping on the alternator pulley. Just tighten it up in small increments until the squealing stops. I'm suggesting that without knowing how it is accomplished with a tensioner pulley system.

ryang007 said:
temp problem seems ok...i only loose the voltage when driving...when i restart I get the voltage back, but will loose again when driving(seems to directly correspond to the squelling belt

will keep posted
does it happen with AC off?

Back