• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Rebuild...

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
This will be a rebuild of some stuff on my xj. I got me a real job, moved to Michigan and a garage so its time to do some upgrades to the cherokee. Its decently "built" but I want to redo and upgrade a buch of stuff.

Heres how it sits now:

IMG_20120107_152646.jpg

294664_10150883350135333_815275332_21330076_1905084711_n.jpg

Suspension
-6.5 rusty’s coils
-Rubicon express super flex uppers/lowers (passenger side Bent)
-Rough Country Drop Brackets
-Rusty’s HD track bar and bracket converted to Ruff stuff heims on both ends
-HD Shackle Brackets
-Rough country 2 inch shackles
-s-10 bastard pack
-ss brake lines

Axles
Dana 30
-4:56s
-Lockright
-Ruff stuff cover
-Alloy tube seals
-Full circle 5-760x u-joints
-chromo shafts
-Control arm skids, boxed passenger mount
-Poison spider tie rod

8.25 29 Spline
-4:56s
-No slip
-Ruff Stuff cover
-ZJ disk brakes
-Raised shock mounts
-Superior Shafts
-u bolt style yoke

Armor
-Home made/ custom front rear bumpers rear with swing out tire carrier
-Cut out rockers for rock rails
-T-case skid
-Stock gas tank skid

Other
-Brown dog motor mounts
-AA SYE
-Spot light mount (home made)
-No carpet/ herculiner
-B&M Trans cooler with gauge
-35x12.50r15 MTR Kevelars on black steel
-Bored thottle body

It works but it needs work, last time out I bent the passenger lower control arm and now the axle is pushed back on that side and it pulls pretty bad.

Heres the plans:

Suspension:
-TNT long arm upgrade
-Possibly drop down to 5.5 inch springs
-Big off road 4 inch flex e springs
-bilstein 5150s all around

Axles:
Dana 30
-wj knuckle swap
-U bolt style yoke
-upgraded steering to go with knuckels

Armor
-jcr rear corner guards with LED light
-jcr gas tank skid
-I need to address my rear bumper also, I made it years ago but its so big it flexes and vibrates against the back.

Other:
- rear drive shaft needs balanced maybe replaced
-front drive shaft needs rebuilt maybe replaced
-more sound deading, looking into this:
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/products/Sound-Deadener-Sound-Barriers.php

Thats about it for now. Its a long expensive list so it will take some time but thats the plan. I am picking up a WJ front axle for the knuckles tommorow so the WJ swap will be first along with the long arms.

Opinions? anything you would do different? I'm trying to get it to a very capable wheeler that can still jump on the highway and cruse home.

Last edited:
Maybe think about stronger axles if you plan on going bigger. 35's are the limit for those axles IMO. I am on 32's but am planning to do an 8.8 rear and 44 front but thats because i'm driving it to moab next year, going a little overboard i think but it should be worth it.

Got parts!!!

IMG_20120117_165142.jpg

Checked it all over and found out I was missing 2 washers! but that wasnt going to stop me. I walked into the garage at 5:30 and walked out at 9:00 with the belly pan finished. I would say thats not to bad for by myself!

IMG_20120117_200807.jpg

IMG_20120117_211226.jpg

The instructions were pretty poor, but after I read them a few times I got what the wanted done. Back when I started working on Jeeps this install would of scared the hell out of me....

Should have it done tommorow.

Started on taking out the old and cutting the lower mounts off.

IMG_20120118_180458.jpg

IMG_20120118_194354.jpg

Everything was going great untill.......

IMG_20120118_192513.jpg

Can you spot the problem??

IMG_20120118_192548.jpg

The dang hole on one of the arms was the wrong size... I rushed into call TNT and thankfully they were open, took some explaning but I got another one coming so untill then I wait...

IMG_20120118_194935.jpg

What stopped you from just drilling it out? Curious as to why they would send you a new arm instead of having you do that...

My front drive shaft which was originally from the junkyard and rebuilt for the rear and then moved to the front because I got a new rear had a good amount of play in the slip yoke so I rebuilt my originl front one to be put back to the front...

IMG_20120121_172248.jpg

all the u joints were actually fine but non greasable. it's all new now and greasable..

IMG_20120121_175407.jpg

all the u joints were actually fine but non greasable. it's all new now and greasable..

be careful... i put all greaseable joints in my shaft and the fill nipple off of the middle Ujoint self clearanced. basically it didnt have room to articulate, and the nipple got ripped off. i didnt notice until recently. but i dont see any orientation where a greasable joint would work properly. does yours rotate freely?

care to take a picture of its orientation?

Back