• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very loud front-end clunk when turning

SpenceXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ, it was already lifted when I bought with a Pro-Comp 3" lift. It has 31's.

Basically When ever I turn the steering wheel to the right, around 90 degrees, there is a really loud clunk/bang that I can even feel through the floor board. It also has some less loud clunks when turning but they are off and on. But the this clunk is very loud and you can feel it in the driver and passenger seat.

Im trying too figure out what it is, and what I should do to fix it.

Thanks in advance

Maybe control arm or track bar bushings is the first thing that comes to mind. Have somone cycle the steering back & forth & watch the front end for movement. If it's that loud it will be pretty obvious if that is the problem. There will be lots of movement between the body & front end. The stock upper control arm bushings on the axle don't usually get replaced when you do a lift, so that could be your problem.

alright, I will look into that

Anyone else want to chime in?

might be a stupid response but, stuck in 4wd maybe, mine does that in 4 lo but just on pavement

Does it happen when you are driving it or when you are standing still?

For sure not in 4wd haha.

It does it both moving and standing still

could also be a crack in the frame. from your steering box. my 89 xj had the same problem. it was a small crack on the inside of the frame, making a popping noise. have a friend turn the wheel back and forth while you stand in front of your jeep.

My 1st check would be the track bar. Is is stock or did the pro-comp kit include a new one? The axle end bolt needs to be really tight to stop if from slipping and making noise. The frame end of some of aftermarket stuff is really hard to keep from shifting and making noise.

Alright I will look into all of this, then post back up!

thanks guys

Alright, went out and looked at what I need to do to get to the track bar. Im guessing the track bar is the diagonal bar connected to the steering gearbox? Or is it the other diagonal bar behind it?

What do I need to remove to tighten it?

vetteboy said:
Tighten your track bar bracket on the frame.

Seems like no matter how much I tighten my track bar drop bracket it still shifts slightly when under load. Look for worn paint around the bolt heads that hold the bracket to the frame. This would be an indicator that your bracket is shifting.

Okay, I see where the track bar meets the frame, but what part should I tighten, and how do I get to it?

why u-joints? What would be wrong? Which u-joints?

Check the frame of the track bar, everything is tight.

The clunk is still there.

Jack up the front end and put the axel on some floor jacks, then you can safely turn the wheels back and forth and locate the sound.
If the sound is not there when its on the jack stands you can probably eliminate trackbar

I have a 3" procomp lift too and they installed a drop bracket for the trackbar where it attaches to the axle. That was my problem...it put the trackbar at a weird angle and toasted the bushing.

I replaced that bolt but it was only a band-aid fix and the problem soon came back. I got a RE HD trackbar and problem solved. I bet that's where your problem is.

dfete91 said:
tighten bar where it mounts to the passenger side of the axle. Torque should ne like 120 ftlbs if I remember right.

...and then tack weld it so it won't move anymore...if this is your problem, that is.

Back