• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Rattle Questions Help!

sublime600

NAXJA Forum User
The front end of my cherokee rattles when i go over potholes, railroad tracks, etc. Its driving me crazy, i cant really pick out the sound but its coming from both side. Could i have to just replace the shocks or do i need to look into some BPE's if so does anyone have a website with a write up. Or could it just be the bushings? I have a problem in the rear too. When im stopped at a redlight and then go there rear end kind of clunks almost feels like someone has hit me in the rear. It only does it from a stop or whne i let off gas and then hit it again. Could the be "spring wrap" ive heard that term thrown around but dont know what it is. Thanks for the help!

You could have a bad bushing, ball joint, tie rod end, u-joint, ect. To pinpoint the problem you'll need to get under your XJ and check every suspension link. Check for loose/worn links visually as well physically by grabbing them and trying to move them. They should all be tight. Do the same for the front and rear driveshaft. These should be pretty tight as well. If you got something loose under there you'll find it. You may also have to put it on jackstands to cycle the steering and wiggle the tires to pinpoint the source. Good luck finding it and let us know what you find down there.

sounds a lot like you drive a jeep cherokee. i think there is not one single jeep cherokee out there with no obnoxious rattles and klunks. if i dont hear anything then i start gettin worried. hakunamattatta.

POSXJGuy said:
sounds a lot like you drive a jeep cherokee. i think there is not one single jeep cherokee out there with no obnoxious rattles and klunks. if i dont hear anything then i start gettin worried. hakunamattatta.

Ha ha True so vary True.

A couple of things to check. If you are running sways bars check the end links and the sway bar to frame bushings. They will give you the rattle over bumps. If you are getting a noise from the rear when you are on and off the gas, check your U-joints as it sounds like you may have one going bad.

Back