• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tubing bender and hydraulic conversion

kippo1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys and gals I have a model 32 tubing bender went through a nasty divorce and my x took my tubing bender and stashed it at her boyfriends house. I went and took it back after I found where it was. Anyhow the dies have rust on them now. What's the best way to clean them. I'm not sure what would hurt the finish on the part the tubing lays in and don't want to mess them up.

2nd question. Took the pump and tank off a hydraulic table.. can anyone tell me if this is a 2 way valve or what?

I don't know anything about the valve.

The rust has certainly hurt the finish on the dies. I would suggest Scotch-brite pads. I can't recall which colors are fine, medium and coarse, but I would try to start with fine. Hopefully you just have minor surface rust.

Actually, your best bet would be to call JD2 and ask them. They should know what finish you need to end up with.

I called them and they literally said they didn't know. I'm going to go with with some green scotch brite or start with some 000 steel wool

Green scotch-brite, and plenty of wd-40.

EASY.

You only need pristine die surfaces if you are bending soft aluminum tubing. A small scratch/nick at the bend on a jeep is irrelevant.

Got them cleaned up with green scotch brite and wd 40. Coated them with Teflon spray and hung them up. Now I have to build a new rack and bender stand.

Have to figure out what I have for the valve. If I had one of those internal spring return cylinders I would be good. Just don't have the Xtra cash to spend on that.

I built mine with an air/hydro ram from Harbor freight and the Swag Offroad mount for it.

welded up a quick vertical stand for it and it bends like crazy.

one of my Dies had a decent amount of rust. I took a wire wheel to it, it didn't gouge it and I've never had an issue with any kind of marking to the tube.

I'm wanting full hydro. This thing was a self contained hydraulic lift table. It has a handheld remote. Push one button the cylinder extends push the other it collapses by its own weight. So I will need a.spring return or maybe a different valve.

Good to know on the wire wheel.

On mine, the air is what drives the hydro ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back