• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thought I would share

Coastie

NAXJA Forum User
I was car dollying my Jeep after a weekend of offroading and either had a U-joint failure allowing the DS to flop around or become bound up or the adapter was already cracked from offroading. From now on if I ever car dolly it again both DS's will be coming out haha.

0801101149.jpg

Luckly no one was behind me when this happened and I don't even want to think about it if I was driving the rig. Time for a flipped 300 :yelclap:

Thought I would share because I've seen two NP231s cracked open but never seen an adapter break like this.

Last edited:
WTH? I would think that it was damaged before the DS went.

What year and transfer case?

holy crap! :scared:

Yeah, that'd get me to pull the driveshafts alright... or at least disconnect the rear shaft at the diff end and ratchet strap it to the muffler.

I was asking about the T-case because its been reported that the early t-cases cant be towed on a dolly without removing the rear driveshaft.

I was asking about the T-case because its been reported that the early t-cases cant be towed on a dolly without removing the rear driveshaft.

Early 231's or the 207's?

231's,supposedly the front output shaft doesn't "disconnect" in the t-case neutral position.

231's,supposedly the front output shaft doesn't "disconnect" in the t-case neutral position.

It should not matter. The pump in the 231 is on the tail shaft wich means it pumps the fluid even in neutral.

Thats not the point!With a t-case like that you can only flat tow since all wheels have to be able to turn(NO Dolly towing without the drive shaft removed).

Thats not the point!With a t-case like that you can only flat tow since all wheels have to be able to turn(NO Dolly towing without the drive shaft removed).

Never heard that before. I dolly towed my tj with the DS in place and never had a problem.

I've dolly towed my MJ, XJ, and a friends TJ with the ds in. I've also towed my Liberty with no problem. I always put the transmission and the t-case in neutral.

Last edited:

The older cases lock the front and rear outputs together in neutral, just like they are in 4wd. If you flat tow them you have to make sure you put them in neutral with the engine off so the axle disconnect doesn't engage the front end.

The problem with a tow dolly is that even with the axle disconnected, one wheel is still connected to that drive shaft. I'm actually surprised it was able to move at all.

I can't see that well to tell if that is an AW4 or not. If so, I have a tranny I can pull the output section off of if you need it.

That is most definately an AW-4.

X2. I can see the 97-down style OSS rotor on the output shaft.

I would worry about damage to the splines on that shaft actually... check it and make sure it is (a) still straight and (b) not all munged up.

Back