• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiator question

ftwxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I posted this in main oem forum but think it kind of got brushed to the back. I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem w/radiator.
Yesterday after pulling into work I noticed coolant pouring out the front of my jeep. I have not had any overheating issues and it only does this after I cut off the engine. The hose seems to be fine, and the coolant comes from the area where the top hose connects to the radiator? I just can't figure how it would crack if I am not overheating.

Here is a pic of where the leak is coming from. Any advise is appreciated.

radiator.jpg

loog at the side closly. with one of those mirror on a stick things and make sure theres not a crack in the plastic i had i there once. it never really showed driving but i found it eventually

A black light works well too (after dark). I had a leak at the radiator drain valve recently, I could only find the source using my trusty black light.

The temp and pressure normally elevate when the engine is shut off, because the fan is not moving air and the water pump is not circulating. Therefore, I would deduce that your hose outlet is leaking around the seam. just my 2 cents. Aslo might be the seal between the tank and the core.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot everyone. I am gonna have it tested tomorrow. So in the mean time I am drivin my old continental. One more question though. If it is leaking around the seal, does the entire radiator have to be replaced?

we got lucky in my friends xj to where we were able to solder the seam and it seems to be working fine. and that was 3 months ago.

I had that happen a couple weeks ago after I replaced the upper hose. It turned out it was leaking cause the clamp was a cheapo and had loosened up.

I had that happen a couple weeks ago after I replaced the upper hose. It turned out it was leaking cause the clamp was a cheapo and had loosened up.

Before you replaced it did it look like it was leaking after the clamp and closer to the radiator, or before the clamp?

Thats the way to go.

Radiator Barn sells the three core with metal end tanks for 167.77 w/free shipping, and they have a lifetime no questions asked warranty. When I got mine a couple years ago I got it in like one day after I ordered it as well. Friend of mine bought one several years ago from them for his wife's civic, and a couple months ago it got a crack in one of the tanks. They sent him a new one without even blinking an eye, didn't even care to see the old one or have it shipped back. A+ in my book, the will have my business from now on.

Mine was leaking the same way and I could not figure it out until I had it checked and was told about the half metal, half plastic problem. All metal now,

Back