• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a ZJ/XJ overhead console:

Gravesdiggerxj said:
it has a white clip is that correct?

I believe mine already has the pigtail to the sensor just not the sensor itself, thanks

Yes the wiring is already all there, you just need the sensor itself to plugin.

We have three XJs, '92, '95, '96, all of which have OHCs. The '92 has a '92 OHC, the '96 I lucked out and found a '96 stripper with the OHC in tan-'Dark Sand'- sorta rare, and the '95, my son found an XJ with a sunroof, and it had the cut- down console- just the front part. We had to cobble together a harness to continue to use the original dome light. Since the '96 is OBDII, and if I got a later ZJ OHC, is the info available in the XJ to get the MPG, DTE etc. like the Grands had. I believe '97+ had this display, but the '96 is a bastard year. Thanx...Ray

heyhar said:
We have three XJs, '92, '95, '96, all of which have OHCs. The '92 has a '92 OHC, the '96 I lucked out and found a '96 stripper with the OHC in tan-'Dark Sand'- sorta rare, and the '95, my son found an XJ with a sunroof, and it had the cut- down console- just the front part. We had to cobble together a harness to continue to use the original dome light. Since the '96 is OBDII, and if I got a later ZJ OHC, is the info available in the XJ to get the MPG, DTE etc. like the Grands had. I believe '97+ had this display, but the '96 is a bastard year. Thanx...Ray

The 96 should have all that data available on the CCD bus for the console to work properly like the 97+ does.

zluster said:
No, 99+ WJ will not work.

The WJ used the single wire PCI bus for data communication, the XJ uses the older CCD twisted pair, the two are not compatible.

I should also note that this trip computer should work for any DCJ vehicle with the CCD bus, though some of the older vehicles will not have all the information needed on the CCD bus.

This means you could install this trip computer on an older TJ. However at some point the TJ switched from the CCD bus to the PCI, if you wanted a trip computer for a newer TJ with the PCI bus you would want the overhead console out of a WJ, or KJ.

So one out of a 96-97-98 Grand cherokee should work?

Started wiring the ZJ trip computer into my '92 and so far got the expected results. Compass, temp, timer and distance to empty all worked. The trip computer, avg and instant fuel consumption did not.

I was able to use the XJ overhead wiring for a few pin outs; had to run wires to the fuel sender, 2 to the ccd bus and a ground. I ran the ccd wires to the unused security connector (i replaced my MJ's original dash harness with one from a '92 XJ limited). i'm pretty sure its not going to make a difference, i'm going to try running the ccd bus wires to the diagnostic connector to see if anything changes.

Thanks for the information.

Hey all I just found this.. Any one have any info on installing a '94 ZJ OHC into a '89 XJ? I have a parts ZJ that I'm stripping and my DD is a '89 XJ..

Good news everyone!
005_professor.png

I found the pictures on my computer, so they are back up and online!

Hello Zluster!! I would need your help to plug the Air Temp Sensor on my over head console. I have a Cherokee XJ with a ZJ computer. Everything work but I have a problem to find out where to connect the sensor. Lights are working properly, compass is powered but no Temp reading. I tried to connect the two remaining wires, purple and white/black but of course it would too easy. Would you mind to help me on that?
Thanks a lot in advance!!

Re: Installing a overhead console:

console29.jpg

console6.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Where is this unit found? I have a 2001 XJ. Is this unit in the XJ? Curious, as this may answer all my questions :)

thats the grand cherokee BCM, found under the dash on the left hand side of the steering wheel. behind a metal plate with 4 screws holding it in, have to remove the bottom plastic piece. I pulled on out this weekend at the junkyard.

My 96 XJ came with the overhead console. It is quite handy. If I didn't already have one though, I would probably keep my sunglasses on top of my head and stick a thermometer and a compass to the dash with superglue if I wanted the features.

anyone had success with this modification on older cherokees? mine is a 92? just wondering if anyone got it to work on the HO cherokees

looks like i still need the same parts, but i would need to run more wires up to the console.

Hello Zluster!! I would need your help to plug the Air Temp Sensor on my over head console. I have a Cherokee XJ with a ZJ computer. Everything work but I have a problem to find out where to connect the sensor. Lights are working properly, compass is powered but no Temp reading. I tried to connect the two remaining wires, purple and white/black but of course it would too easy. Would you mind to help me on that?
Thanks a lot in advance!!

You need the ZJ BCM. You connect the temperature sensor to the BCM, and then connect the purple and white CCD bus wires on the BCM to the XJ purple and white wires. Connect the purple and white from the XJ, the overhead console, and the ZJ BCM and everything will work correctly.

Connect the wires like shown in this photo:
console16.jpg

Where is this unit found? I have a 2001 XJ. Is this unit in the XJ? Curious, as this may answer all my questions :)

No, that is the ZJ BCM, the XJ does not have a BCM, so the temp sensor connects directly to the XJ trip computer in an XJ. If you use a ZJ trip computer then you need use a ZJ BCM, connect the temp sensor to the ZJ BCM, connect the CCD bus(purple and white) from the ZJ BCM to the XJ. That will pass on the temperature sensor signal to the overhead console, and the overhead console will work 100% like the factory unit does this way.

so if i spend all my life tring to do this will it till me my mpg and all that fun stuff?

If you just connect the ZJ console up without using the BCM everything will work except the outside temp, you need to do the ZJ BCM hoopla to get the outside temp to work.

anyone had success with this modification on older cherokees? mine is a 92? just wondering if anyone got it to work on the HO cherokees

looks like i still need the same parts, but i would need to run more wires up to the console.

One guy started to do this on a 92, then never posted back.

The older XJ's never had the gas mileage functions, the overhead console just had the temperature and compass. If you were going to do this for an older(1992) XJ you should get the caravan console and trip computer, and then go from there, the caravan console has dedicated wires for the gas tank level, headlight dimmer, etc that you would need to tie in. At the very least the temperature and compass will work, but you might get the gas mileage functions to work.

PM me if you are really serious about it.

so to git mpg i will need to git a caravan overhead console?
If so what years would i need to look for that would have this?
Im only 17 years old and they wont lit me in the yards yet =(
if you could tell me how i could try to git all this working. (so i could save it till i trun 18 next year) and try to tackle this because it semes like this would be something i would like to try with my 93 cherokee

Back