• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hpd30 passenger tube leak

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
dudes!

just re-geared and tires + wheeling and i noticed the passenger side is leaking.
when re-gearing the shop said they would replace new seals, and I know my old seals did not leak. i also have those grease-able tube seals, so im a bit surprised.

Is there any chance in hell this is from them over filling the diff?
Im a little over my 500 mile diff oil change from the drive to work, ill be changing oil tomorrow.

until then i have no real further info on status

It would be almost impossible to over-fill so you need to pull the diff to install a new one!

it could just be residual in your tubes from when they pulled the axles or they didn't install seals correctly or ripped one on axle reinstall could be a number of things so best bet kust take it back to them

That's just going to seal the tubes not stop the seal from leaking.
If anything pull the tube seals out so you can verify whether it is or isn't leaking

This...

All those outer tube seals due in actuality after about 5k miles is wallow out, then.
1- when you go through water or even mud, it fills into the tube past the wallowed out rubber outer "seal", and then traps it in the tube, and if enough water, it holds it up against the Real inner axle seal for the diff oil.
2- if you have a actual real inner axle seal leak, then it has to fill up the tube till it gets to the height of of the axle shaft, then leak out.

I had to change the diff fluid anyway so i pulled the plug to see where the diff fluid was at before i pulled the cover. fluid was running out as it should on level ground, it was filled properly. if its really leaking, the diff should start running low right?

Last edited:
This...

All those outer tube seals due in actuality after about 5k miles is wallow out, then.
1- when you go through water or even mud, it fills into the tube past the wallowed out rubber outer "seal", and then traps it in the tube, and if enough water, it holds it up against the Real inner axle seal for the diff oil.
2- if you have a actual real inner axle seal leak, then it has to fill up the tube till it gets to the height of of the axle shaft, then leak out.

Yup. I have Alloy USA outer tube seals (latest gen) and hate them! Damn things just trap shit in the tubes after the deal is destroyed. Even w greasing, they only last a few months.

Back