• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me find a soldering iron!

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
I need to remove a switch from a circuit board and solder on a couple wires in it's place. I hardly ever have found the need for a soldering iron, so I don't want to spend much money, but I don't want to screw up this circuit board either.

What do I need to look for? Do a need a special tip? Do I need a soldering gun or is an iron sufficient? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Billy

A solder sucker can make the job a whole lot easier.
Having said that, many electronic places will do it for $5, I occasionally go to our local equivalent to Circuit City and hit the tech counter.
I keep a selection of pen type electric soldering irons, cheap, though they do take awhile to heat up.
The trick is matching the wattage of the iron to the work to be done. Too hot causes problems, things come unsoldered you hadn't planned on or components get heat damage. Too cold and you have to fight to get it unsoldered.

A solder sucker is an excellent tool, however for less you can get what are called solder wicks, they look like that braided ground cable only smaller, you heat the spot up, apply the wick and the solder flows into it, then you cut that piece off and go from there. Hit up Radio shack they have a 'kit' with a cheap iron, solder sucker and a roll of wicking and solder for like $10 or so bucks. I find my self not using any of mine for months at a time then all of a sudden they are getting plugged in every couple of days for a week. I also have a solder station with a built in pump and a nozzle on the end of the iron back from my old field service days when I would swap boards, take them home, repair them and use them again and again.

Good gawd, you'd want a write-up on changing a lightbulb.....

Either a bulb solder-sucker, or a roll of solder-wick will help in getting the old switch out. Keep the tip of your iron tinned and clean (wipe it on a damp sponge if it's not shiny.) From what you say about the size of the components, you probably want the smallest iron you can get, along with the smallest tip.

What just might be a better idea is to find the oldest TV repair shop in the area, and take your project in to him. You may even spend less paying him to pop the old switch out and solder on a couple of wires than buying your own equipment.

Fine scale soldering is definitely a learned art. I know a bunch of folks who package up kits (blinkie badges,) and teach people to put them together (http://www.2dkits.com.) It's pretty easy to tell if someone does needlework, their joints come out clean & neat from the start.

Do I smell a write up?

It'll be posted on my site... you'll be welcome to link to it
fawk.gif

Billy

Soldering, and desoldering is an art.

Yah, you can do a sloppy macaroni and glue type job, or you can make it look like you were never even there, and like welding, it takes practice.

Radio shack has 40watt irons for sale. They work for most small applications that are not attempted in the weather.

I could spend hours teaching you what I have learned, or I could spend time on the Internet finding you a video some fellow made for beginners.

I choose the later :D

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Solder-Videos%3a-Why-is-soldering-difficult-s/

Head over to your local FRY's and talk to the guys in the Electronics section. They have some decent yet cheap stuff. A solder sucker is helpful yes, so is wicking; but just as Zuki-Ron stated it is kinda an art. I do enough of it at work 2m even. remember not too much heat; but make sure that you are not using too small or large of a tip as well. If you want I can hook you up with the NEETS module for it back channel.

lowe's carries a small butane torch/soldering iron kit for around 18 bucks with a can of butane.

For all my projects I use my trusty Weller. I dunno if you need a variable iron or not but you can buy the stick irons in different watts.

Weller is good because you can buy replacement parts for their irons and stuff. Really good product too. i used them for 3 years in high school. :thumbup::thumbup:

Back