• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bearing bolts?

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
When replacing my broken axle shaft last weekend I had to grind off the head of one 13mm bearing retaining bolt. Temporarily replaced it with a 6 sided bolt of the same size, but seeing as most of mine are becoming a little rounded I am wondering where I can get new bolts of the 12 sided variety.

Is this a dealer only part, as the store I got this one replacement didn't have any 12 sided.

Other than a convenience thing, is there any reason not to replace all the 12 sided bolts with regular 6 sided?

Thanks for the help.

Do you have a scrap yard anywhere near you. If so they are loaded with XJs around here. I'd just go in with a few things in mind and pull what you need. I have one paticular one I have been getting parts off of for awhile now. I bet there are at least a dozen XJs in this yard.

I don't see any real reason you can't use a regular hex head screw there, or even a "short" socket head (a regular socket head may interfere with something else - I haven't had a chance to check yet...)

As I recall, they're M8-1.25 (right?) but I don't recall the length. 50-60m/m sounds about right, but I don't have one out to measure at the moment...

If you use a regular hex head, I also suggest the use of a flat washer. If you can find a "flanged" hex head (it would look like the 12-pt you wrecked, but have a hex head instead of a 'double hex head',) you can use that straight - but most local hardware stores don't tend to have flanged hex heads (some do, but most do not.)

wrecker is out while I am around here, none will let you in the yard 'safety concern' they call it, but will charge you an extra $50 if they have to pull something not off the shelf.
I will check the length when I replace this one, or all of them, whicever happens here soon.

thanks for the help all

Back