• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After market cam and Timeing

xj paddler

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently building an 88 Renix 4.0 . I was going to try and put an after market cam in ( small RV cam ) but after looking at it how do you set the timeing the Distubuter can not be advanced to make up the diffrence in the cam. What modifications have to be done in order to put an after market cam in. Also will these mods have to be made to the Block, distributer, or what???

Currently I am milling the Head may do some porting and polishing as well, Punching the block 30 over, and swithching to a tubeular style air intake and a K&N fillter. Any other suggestions, will an after market header make that much of a diffrence? Or maybe going to a 3 inch exaust strate from the manifold??

This will be my every day driver and my trip maker. if anyone sees any down sides to what I am trying to do please feel free to tell me and express your opinions.

Thanks Heath

Timing is controlled by the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor), not the distributor, and is not adjustable. Drop in the cam and run it.

What adjustments did you think were needed to the timing to run a cam?

Back