• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vanco Big Disc brake kit...anyone here run this?

I haven't made a push in this forum for the disk kit. We have over 100 of these setups on vehicles at this time. No big advertising push will be done until the begining of the year. So far we have a 100% customer satisfaction ratio (locking down XJ, TJ, YJs, LJs etc with 35 inch tires or smaller). If you have any questions please fell free to call.

Welp, I want to let folks know that I've been running this kit for over a year and am very happy with the results. I built a D30 from bare housing and needed brakes, so it was either this kit, or a WJ knuckle swap. I got a good deal from Van, so I went with his kit.

When I first installed the kit, I was running the Performance Friction pads that came with and the brakes were at times, worse than stock. I followed the proper bedding procedure supplied by Vanco to the letter, so I figured either the kit was junk, or the pads are not designed for my driving style. Sometimes they stopped well, other times I was looking for a place to bail to avoid rear-ending someone.

I got tired of messing with them and swapped in a set of Raybestos Semi-Metallic pads and what a huge difference! With the dual piston calipers, and pads that actually work, I hardly need any pedal pressure to stop my 6" lifted, 33" tired Jeep and when a panic stop occurs, I find myself in control and with room to spare........no staring into the back seat of the car in front of me, like with the stock brakes.

Good kit, great customer service and great results.

That is very interesting. I know I have thought about buying the power slot rotors and those performance friction pads before.

I have the Vanco big brake kit with EBC Yellow pads. I followed the bedding in process religiously and the brakes just got better and better. Out of all the mods I have done to my Jeep, this one is the best.

I also did the conversion on my 2000, was not totally happy with the stopping power at first, then switched the calipers to the larger sport trac and made a good improvement, still wanting the pedal feel of a newer car then spoke to CleanRc and we came up with switching the master and booster from a 04 WJ, also used the EBC green's and now it is like driving a little sport's car, super light pedal. I also run the rear Explorer discs. I can't say enough about how friendly and helpful Van from Vanco is, Would do business with him anytime.

So do you have to pay $950, then get $200 back, or is it $750 initially and then $200 back when you send back your old knuckles? I'd love to get this kit because I hate how bad my brakes are, but I just can't shell out $750 right now. The kit looks great though.

Van, what calipers does this kit use? I have a set of PBR 2 piston calipers from my '03 Mustang GT sitting around in the garage and was wondering if these are the same ones.

Wow, this is an old thread.

There's now a couple kits. The smaller kit using 46mm dual pistons and a 11 3/8ths rotor comes off the 1995-2000 Ford Explorer 4x4. The bigger kit using 48mm dual piston calipers and a 12 inch rotors comes off the 2003-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4.

We tried serveral mustang and cpobra calipers, we took them off and tossed them. Not that their a bad caliper, but for the Jeeps they where.

I love mine! I have had them on since December '07.

I drive in the city a lot and have had several panic stops, before I was really worried about stopping. Not now!

Also, the service from Van was excellent. He spent a lot of time answering my questions!

Glen

Back