• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HomeBrew Smoke machine

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone made a smoke machine for tracing vac/exhaust leaks?

I put one together and am pretty happy with it.

I used:
A plastic paint can
Simple air fitting(air in) and barb fitting(air out)
A battery charger harness with eyelets and quick connection(connect it to a charge harness that has clamps).
Tiki torch wicks(used 3 bundled together)
20gauge resistance wire about 20" at 2ohms
Black RTV
Couple screws, washers and nuts
Baby oil

I drilled 2 holes in the lid then used a step bit to get the size hole needed for the air fittings. I used a large washer on each side and RTV to hold them in place and don't see it being a problem at around 2psi.

For the wick I drilled to small holes on oppesite sides of the can and used small screws again with washers and Rtv. I coiled the 20" of wire around the wicks(used zip ties to hold the wicks bundled during that process) and made a loop on each end. Added another nut and wash to the screws to attach the wire.

Soak the wicks with baby oil and I poured some in the bottom of the can too. Set shop air to 2 psi or just super low so I could stop it with my finger attach it to the fitting with the lid Off, then bang the lid on the can. Attaching the air with the lid in place caused some issues(lid popping off) so I figured lid off to start is safer. With the quick connect battery cable, just plug the ends together and it starts to heat up and smoke very fast.

I used it for a good 20 minutes and no issue, the can got warm but nothing I was worried about. I may adjust the length of the wire, I had some scortching on the wicks but that maybe fine/normal. It poured a steady stream of highly visible smoke the entire time. I want to add a propane pressure regulator just so I don't have to mess with my compressor adjustment. Also make it quicker to plug in and use with any compressor.

I'd post pics but don't have anywhere to upload them to.

Something worth noting, if you use a smoke setup that allows any air into the system....it should not be used on evap. leaks. Mixing air into your fuel system creates a bomb. The nicer smoke machines are specifically designed not to allow oxygen in with the smoke.

Has anyone made a smoke machine for tracing vac/exhaust leaks?

I put one together and am pretty happy with it.

I used:
A plastic paint can
Simple air fitting(air in) and barb fitting(air out)
A battery charger harness with eyelets and quick connection(connect it to a charge harness that has clamps).
Tiki torch wicks(used 3 bundled together)
20gauge resistance wire about 20" at 2ohms
Black RTV
Couple screws, washers and nuts
Baby oil

I drilled 2 holes in the lid then used a step bit to get the size hole needed for the air fittings. I used a large washer on each side and RTV to hold them in place and don't see it being a problem at around 2psi.

For the wick I drilled to small holes on oppesite sides of the can and used small screws again with washers and Rtv. I coiled the 20" of wire around the wicks(used zip ties to hold the wicks bundled during that process) and made a loop on each end. Added another nut and wash to the screws to attach the wire.

Soak the wicks with baby oil and I poured some in the bottom of the can too. Set shop air to 2 psi or just super low so I could stop it with my finger attach it to the fitting with the lid Off, then bang the lid on the can. Attaching the air with the lid in place caused some issues(lid popping off) so I figured lid off to start is safer. With the quick connect battery cable, just plug the ends together and it starts to heat up and smoke very fast.

I used it for a good 20 minutes and no issue, the can got warm but nothing I was worried about. I may adjust the length of the wire, I had some scortching on the wicks but that maybe fine/normal. It poured a steady stream of highly visible smoke the entire time. I want to add a propane pressure regulator just so I don't have to mess with my compressor adjustment. Also make it quicker to plug in and use with any compressor.

I'd post pics but don't have anywhere to upload them to.

Nice job!

I made one a few years ago with an espresso maker. It had a thick metal vessel for heating the water. Plumbed it to fit on my airbrush compressor with a regulator. Used mineral oil, same as baby oil. It didn't heat up enough so I bypassed the thermal cut out switch. Didn't have a pressure relief valve either (BAD). It worked great for about 5-10 minutes, then it exploded (BAD). Didn't get hurt but it could have been much worse. I will never get the awful smell of burnt mineral oil out of my mind.

Homemade smoke machines are cool. Safety first.

The plastic paint can lid pops off very very easy. I haven't had it pop while in use but I did test it and seemed like it would be a good safety relief if over pressurized.

I do want to add a regulator for the source air. Having to dial my compressor regulator way down os annoying.

Back