• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can i Remove the A/C condenser without removing the Radiator???

jomeza001

NAXJA Forum User
Have an 1988 Comanche with an auto tranny and wondering if i can remove the A/C condenser without DRAINING the Radiator?

I'm installing three 10" electric fans and need to reach the back of the radiator to place the Derale Plastic Rod Mounting Kit.

It would suck to drain the brand new coolant i just replaced one week ago before realizing one of my OEM electric fans fried.

Is this possible? To remove the condenser through the grille? or No? There is no gas charge on the A/C lines.

LMK.
Tnx.

Last edited:
I suspect you meant 1988 Comanche...
Removing the A/C condenser so you don't have to remove the radiator... not sure I would do that.
I realize it would not be fun to lose the new coolant, but if your A/C system is functioning properly; removing the condenser and losing the refrigerant would not be good either... and a lot more expensive.
When you move the condenser you risk the chance of breaking an aluminum line or separating a connection.
Remove the top radiator mount and slide your hand inside assuming your forearms are not too large...

Yeah sorry i meant 1988 Comanche. My A/C lines are empty. actually the lines are not connected to the compressor. The thing is i would like to skip draining the radiator.

If the condenser is only occupying space since it is disconnected; then definitely remove it and allow more air flow thru the radiator.
Agree...

So is the answer a "Yes"? Can i remove the condenser from the Grille ? without having to drain the Radiator? I have no mechanical fan.

Once the top is removed there are two nuts attaching the condenser mounts to the radiator top. You may need to tip the radiator for more clearance during condenser removal.

Back