• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need work-zone info & good FM rock stations fom VA to NC

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Taking a roadtrip Sunday & I may need to switch up from CDs and need a plan B. I HATE channel surfing as it imperils self & everyone near me.
I need road rock (harder/metal end of the spectrum)

Any FUBAR work-zones in particular to avoid on the 95 corridor?

I'm thinking 95 to DC beltline E, 895 E Tunnel around Baltimore, Bypass NYC via Garden St Pkwy, 87/287 TZ Bridge to CT exit 1-95 to Foxboro.

TIA & maybe see ya?...we'll be in a (stock) red 88 4-door Sleigh

Woody

you're heading to boston right woody? i would avoid I95 myself... what about 287 north to 684 (its been a while) to 84 then east thru hartford to I-90 mass pike? unless you are planning to hit I-95 thru CT at a late hour... not sure how bad the sunday evening rush is down there.. just a thought.. as far as listening pleasure... once you get close to CT try 106.9 WCCC.... providence RI has 94.7 WHJY.. and in boston 107.3 WAAF... enjoy your trip and have a great holiday.. remember, once a MASShole , always a MASShole... :wave:
mike

Woody
You have a good trip to Massachusetts, my daughter lived out there a while ago. When I went to see her, I take Interstate 95 to the Jersey Turnpike. This usually took eleven hours from Woodbridge VA, to Massachusetts, and I am only a few minutes off 95. The station around here is 100.3 FM it is and classic rock station.
Depending on what time you hit Williamsburg, Richmond, Fredericksburg you can count on traffic heavy in some sections of those areas. Be careful they are all crazy, and they drive with their heads uptheir -------.
happy holidays. I will email you my phone number.
Bob
P.S. if you need anything when you are here in northern Virginia, gave me a call. I am close to Potomac mills Mall :wave:

Woody--from downtown Richmond north through Fredericksburg you'll find Classic Rock on 96.9 and in the Fredericksburg area our alternative station is 993-WYSK. Unfortunately that signal is oriented more east/west, so you can't carry it for a long ways on I-95, but it's one of the most progressive outlets on the East Coast, though I'm probably biased though since I've worked at both stations for the past four years. Let me know if you need anything and when you'll be passing through on the way back so we can hook up.

if your coming around 95n, try:
98rock (97.9fm)
dc101 (101.1fm)
99hfs (99.1fm)
97arrow (94.7fm)
stay away from hot 99.5. i cant stand them.

When you get to jersey take the turnpike to the garden state parkway to the end. Then take 287/87 to the Tappen Zee. Bear right after the tolls and stay on 287. Take thay to Rt 684/Brewster. Then take that to Rt84 East. Take that through Hartford all the way to the Mass Pike, Then take the Mass Pike all the way into Boston. It iw definitely quicker than I95. I live right near where the parkway and turnpike meet and head up to mass at least once a month. Good Classic Rock in Jersey is 104.3. Have a good trip.

John

Re: Need work-zone info & good FM rock stations from VA to MA

Thanks for the freq. info :)

Wondering why y'all saying to avoid 95 through CT & RI? I'd have never considered 84 up to the Mass Pike & back down 495... when my destination is (Norfolk) 20 min from the MA/RI border on 95. Mapquest suggested this route as well...

Probably try to leave at 6-7 AM, and figure approx 16 hours of slabtime (barring any snags)

Last edited:
it's been a while but i was stationed in norfolk, Va about 15 years ago and i would make it from springfield, ma to norfolk.. via the delmarva penninsula in about 8 hrs.. 6 and 45 mins once on a late night banzia blast in an old police cruiser.. (hee hee).. i would think most of the sunday traffic on 95 in CT/NY will be southbound but its always crazy there.. Eagle and CheapXJ live and drive that area all the time. wonder what their thoughts are on this..
mike

Wife and I always played the Pa turnpike up to the Jersey stateline.
Wish I could remember exactly how we do that. I've slept the past two years as Judy navigated the trek. If you get close to the Potomac out here, we're a stones throw away. Only one thing to add....

96.5 has the Greaseman (not on Sunday!!!) and plays from 80's to mid 90's.
98 Rock will give you all today's grunge and primal screams.

We made it up to MA fine enough, 13 hours @ the speed limit & got 21.6 MPG. Did the whacko route...straight up the NJTP to GW Bridge to 95 CT/RI :D

No sleddable snow here in Norfolk though :cry: but the pig can go on grass too :viking: Fingers crossed for a foot or so before Friday.

glad your trip went well... don't be wishing for snow this week woody!! i have to drive to northern VT (read: moose country) on friday night.... have a great visit to the bay state and a safe trip home too !!
mike

Well we made it back in early this morning...traffic was xtra thick Friday :(

Took the 287/Tappan Zee/GS Parkway route and it added approx 30 miles, but saved $8 in tolls as opposed to 95 through NYC & the full Turnpike route.

Worst drivers award is a tie between the Metro DC folks & my wife...I thought the Massoles were bad ;) Jeesh...I wish I had a 3/4t pickup with the 8' Fisher Plow on the front for the DC loonies, and needed valium whenever Karen was at the wheel. I "normally" don't rant & scream, but once again, she brought it out of me. (stopping on entrance ramps, missing critical exits, hogging the passing lane etc...)

Rockin Radio awards go to 107.1 WAAF in So NE and 102.? in Richmond VA. Good road tunes.

Not many 'built' XJs spotted, but saw a sleeper/classsic on the NJ Turnpike...a blue 87ish 2-door Pioneer with what looked like a D44 rear (not a 35 or 8.25 anyway). I thought it might have been NJ Mike, but once I got around it, saw it was driven by an older black guy. He got the thumbs up XJ salute!

Back