• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving a Shed?

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
Anyone have any experience with moving a large storage shed (wood/stick construction)? We're now under contract to purchase a 5-acre property in the Black Forest (less than 10 minutes from our current house), but there is a large (10x20) shed sitting near the rear of the house that I want to move about 100 feet to the northeast -- we'll be doing some construction/renovation over the next month or two (the house is a serious POS), and this shed is right in the middle of where a temporary road will need to be... plus its ass-ugly and generally too close to the house. I'm thinking of picking up some mobile home axles on craigslist, jacking it up (its not on a foundation), slapping them on and giving it a tug.

thoughts? :eyes:

Dynamite....... works wonders ;)

move, not obliterate, ya putz.

IDK, is there? I mean, I could certainly wedge some 2x12's under it, but I'm thinking it weighs too much to drag over relatively flat, but still uneven dirt terrain... It's a big ass (15' tall) stick-built structure...

Burn it, burn it to the ground:
800px-5x16_burning_cabin.png

OK, so perhaps I should clarify that I would actually like to USE this shed after moving it, ya know, to store stuff in :rolleyes: :D

X2 for skids.
If it has a wood floor, you should be able to use a couple of high lift jacks and lift it up.
If it doesn't already have skids, just attach two 2x10 or 12s flat.
Set it down and pull it with the Jeep.
I have had to move sheds all the time for customers. If it's built well, you won't have any problems.

I follow the principal, and you're giving me some optimism, but I'm thinking this beast has to weight close to a ton... that would be great if skids would get er done!

I don't think it will come apart, I'm concerned it won't freaking move!

What about a few sticks of pipe old school stone moving style. jack it up get a pipe under it then another pull on it with the jeep and a strap then just keep moving the pipe to the front of the shed as it rolls over it.

My first option was a can of gas and a match but see you want to keep it. I would have brought the dogs and smores but never mind.

I don't think it will come apart, I'm concerned it won't freaking move!

Duh, the Egyptians moved stones as big as your shed, use skids and roller logs :D

I actually had thought of the egyptian/pipe method, but figured some poor sot (likely me) would lose a finger/arm/toe in that kind of fustercluck operation... the egyptians weren't so concerned with losing a slave or two during transport :D Since the property is sloped on the edges, I worried a bit about a runaway shed as well...

I guess somebody beat me to it, but I was going to say insurance and a match. :flame:

Anyone have any experience with moving a large storage shed (wood/stick construction)? We're now under contract to purchase a 5-acre property in the Black Forest (less than 10 minutes from our current house

Congrats on the new property.:thumbup: Looks like I get to be jealous of you now because I'm moving back down to COS in 5 weeks. :(

that blows, Jeff... I loved your place!

WE can get some beer and make some plywood ski' things ,if it starts to run away we can use Troy for a brake , we got winches and straps . that's way more than the egyptians had

Last edited:
Back