• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear wiper issues!

shatahoe

NAXJA Forum User
I searched the forum for topics on this issue and came across one thread that seems related, but I am still a little confused.
The rear wiper stopped working. I have since replaced the switch and the motor with factory parts and I still get the same thing. The relay? on the motor ticks when the switch is activated but no movement on the arm. I have checked every fuse in the box, and there doesn't appear to be any corrosion on the wires through the door junction.
any info would be greatly appreciated!
I have a 01 XJ limited

Did you replace with a used motor? If so the motor is shot, look inside the gearbox, if clean it's good, if you even think it's not how it should look from the factory then it's shot....Big problem on XJ's

I first tried a rebuilt motor and the same thing, thinking the rebuilt was crap i installed a dealer motor and switch and still the same thing, so i returned them and put the original back in. I think i have ruled out the motor and the switch?
I was just hoping that there might be some fuse/relay or some common problem that might be a quick fix that i don't know about as I have no manual or wiring diagram. I really don't want to have to trace the wires all over. The motor makes a ticking noise from the black box attached to the motor when the switch is turned on, and it is getting power to one wire at the connection to the motor. I haven't tested volts or ohms just power.
I can live without this thing but living where it snows it would be nice to have operational again.
Thanks for any input

Try the relay...What color wire is your grounding wire? I guess you have the style with the relay on the mounting plate?

The relay came on both the rebuilt and the factory motor. So i'm guessing that is okay as well?
I'm not sure what color the ground wire is. There are no wires coming from the motor to a ground on the body? I have checked on all the motors.
Thanks for your info.

The motor is probably fine, the gear inside the motor that should engage the gear attached to your wiper blade has become 'disconnected'. If you pull the inspection plate off the wiper motor, you'll see that the two gears aren't meshed together. Easy fix.

I'll give that a try, but I thnik it is something electrical related since i have put two motors in and a switch.
thanks for your info!

Have you guys checked the wires that go through the rubber harness to the tailgate from the body? It's the one on the left (driver) side. My rear defroster was intermittent then totally quit working. i pulled that "boot" off and saw at least 4-5 wires in different states of breakdown (some with cracked insulation, others ready to break) that I am going to need to solder/replace.

I know you are getting power to the motor but when electricity is involved, there can be all kinds of odd behavior especially if you have a connection that is still partially working. Might be worth taking a look at those wires.

Back