• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft handbrake

Park isn't meant to be used to hold the vehicle. That's the purpose of the parking brake. Getting out of the vehicle while on a 45* slope is incredibly unsafe. Get a spotter if you feel you need to have a visual while crawling.

You really want a line lock for what you're trying to do, though.

Think I should explain myself a bit better. The handbrake works as good as it always did. What I would like to do is while 4wding a 45 degree slope is to be able to pull the handbrake on and be able to get out of the Jeep and not be worried about the brake holding. Over the years I just use park and it has always held. Since I had it jump out of park and race down the hill I am wondering just how safe park is. One of my buddies in a non Jeep has a driveshaft handbrake and it will hold the vehicle at any angle no questions asked.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

the reason your buddies driveshaft brake works so well is that it works before the gear reduction in the axles. top loader axles like rockwells are a good example too. you see similar stuff on monster trucks. pinion breaks are also not uncommon at the drag strip.

ive been looking to add a brake off the rear pinion of an atlas. mechanical caliper, and a rotor mounted to a 1300 series flange. like the kit linked in here earlier. if you are in a state that does vehicle inspections, the pinion brake is not DOT approved.

Think I should explain myself a bit better. The handbrake works as good as it always did. What I would like to do is while 4wding a 45 degree slope is to be able to pull the handbrake on and be able to get out of the Jeep and not be worried about the brake holding. Over the years I just use park and it has always held. Since I had it jump out of park and race down the hill I am wondering just how safe park is. One of my buddies in a non Jeep has a driveshaft handbrake and it will hold the vehicle at any angle no questions asked.

In that situation, the parking brake should hold the vehicle.

Your buddies driveshaft handbrake would work fine...as long as both axles are in place and undamaged.

It works because it keeps the driveshaft from turning, which keeps the pinon & ring gear from turning, which keeps the axle from turning, which keeps the tire from rotating, which holds the vehicle in place due to friction with the ground.

Now if an axle is broken or missing, the chain is broken & there is nothing to stop the wheel from rotating and the vehicle rolling away.

Even with a locker and a broken axle, the vehicle can still roll away due to the way the lockers disengage when not under power if one side is rotating.

the reason your buddies driveshaft brake works so well is that it works before the gear reduction in the axles. top loader axles like rockwells are a good example too. you see similar stuff on monster trucks. pinion breaks are also not uncommon at the drag strip.

ive been looking to add a brake off the rear pinion of an atlas. mechanical caliper, and a rotor mounted to a 1300 series flange. like the kit linked in here earlier. if you are in a state that does vehicle inspections, the pinion brake is not DOT approved.

The reason above is why the pinion brakes are NOT DOT approved. They won't work with a broken axle shaft.

Pinion brakes work well for slowing stuff down, and holding them due to the side of the reduction they are on as mentioned above, but if the chain of parts that makes it work is broken (ie a part missing, such as a broken axle) they don't work at all.

Your engine starts and when you put it in gear, the jeep moves....now take out the driveshaft...the engine still starts, but the vehicle won't move...same principle as a broken axle shaft with a pinion or driveshaft brake...the brake part no longer works to stop the vehicle from moving

Last edited:
If your parking brake doesn't hold then it's not adjusted correctly, end of story. Mine holds fine on my 33s just by pulling the handle up 2 inches. Go under and adjust it. You are really over-thinking this.

your saying that your handbrake will hold on a 45 degree slope without putting the auto into park.

if yer talking to me....on the vehicle in my avatar, yes it would/did....well, one time it kinda didn't....the truck started sliding....with the rear wheels locked.......not much the brake or trans can do about that one......only slid a few feet tho.

your saying that your handbrake will hold on a 45 degree slope without putting the auto into park.

I don't know, I've never done anything that stupid. Do you actually know how steep 45° really is? I sure as hell wouldn't be getting out of my Jeep on a hill like that.

Back