• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle Valve Cable (Kickdown Cable)

chuck619120

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Long story, short. Anyone change one? How to change the tranny end? 1999 xj, 4.0, AW4

** Long story. About 8 months ago my throttle seized up and wouldn't move. I found a worn spot in my TVC, so I disconnected it to see what would happen. Now I have throttle again, but it doesn't shift out of OD on hills at highway speed. No problem I can just manually shift it out of OD on grades. I swapped my 31" tires for some 33" tires. Now at a constant speed of around 35 MPH to 45 MPH (city driving) it wants to constantly shift between 2nd and 3rd. I cut the cable below the worn spot and have free movement at the transmission. I have a new cable, but not sure about how to change the tranny end. It is connected inside the transmission. I see what looks like a circle inspection plate, held in with a snap ring. My main worry is if I remove this plate, will a bunch of little springs and such come out. I really don't wanna have to drop the pan and/or play with small tranny parts. I can always just shift to 2nd gear for in town driving. Still I would like to make this right. TIA

Last edited:
Back