• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I have been getting a clunk under the driver side floor board when turning, primarily when turning slow. Axle u joints are new. Tie rod and all pretty new. I assume it's ball the joint.

How likely can I see movement when it's jacked up and I use a pry bar between the knuckle and gusset?

the track bar is connected to the frame rail in the engine bay. and when it goes bad it will clunk when you turn. the rail runs about center down the floor on the drivers side. its pretty easy to check with some help. just have someone slowly turn the wheel and watch the track bar for movement left and right.

I have been getting a clunk under the driver side floor board when turning, primarily when turning slow. Axle u joints are new. Tie rod and all pretty new. I assume it's ball the joint.

How likely can I see movement when it's jacked up and I use a pry bar between the knuckle and gusset?

Yeah between the knuckle and axle C. The lower is a real ball joint and there shouldn't be any movement there. The upper is spring loaded pin that goes up and down to absorb shocks while driving and slop in the lower. Don't use cheap Auto Zone type parts as they are over sized and will enlarge the bores in the axle C. If you find any slop probably do all 4. I'd go with Spicer kits. They cost about $125 for all 4 and last a long time.

the track bar is connected to the frame rail in the engine bay. and when it goes bad it will clunk when you turn. the rail runs about center down the floor on the drivers side. its pretty easy to check with some help. just have someone slowly turn the wheel and watch the track bar for movement left and right.

i have an RE adjustable trac bar re1600 i think, do you think itll still pop? good call on the idea though, i hadnt thought of it as an option.

Don't use cheap Auto Zone type parts as they are over sized and will enlarge the bores in the axle C.

Don't know about your Autozone but the ones around me, all their ball joints are re branded Moog.
I think whats causing the enlarged bore in the C's is driving the ball joint sideways because they don't want to use the correct tool adapter.

Don't know about your Autozone but the ones around me, all their ball joints are re branded Moog.
I think whats causing the enlarged bore in the C's is driving the ball joint sideways because they don't want to use the correct tool adapter.

When I was dealing with this problem on a Jeep that was dropped off for some work, I got every ball joint NAPA sold and none were as large as the one that came out. Spicers would just spin. And the old ball joint wasn't splined either. I have used MOOG ball joints in the past and replaced them with Spicers and never had a problem.

Moog has a problem solver line of ball joints that have a slightly over size housing.
Sound like the parts monkey sold the wrong part. Should have been noticeable on installation

thinking this might be the issue, canyon road down left turn to right it was a consistent clunk. new tb end needed maybe.

My moog joints (From AZ) went in just fine. splined and fit perfectly

Yeah between the knuckle and axle C. The lower is a real ball joint and there shouldn't be any movement there. The upper is spring loaded pin that goes up and down to absorb shocks while driving and slop in the lower. Don't use cheap Auto Zone type parts as they are over sized and will enlarge the bores in the axle C. If you find any slop probably do all 4. I'd go with Spicer kits. They cost about $125 for all 4 and last a long time.

md21722-Do you have a Part # for that set of all four Spicer balljoints?

i have an RE adjustable trac bar re1600 i think, do you think itll still pop? good call on the idea though, i hadnt thought of it as an option.

Even if the bar itself is good, the hole where it mounts to on the frame bracket can wallow out and allow the bolt to move around in the hole, causing that sort of pop as well - it's happened to me a couple times.

Anyone run core 4x4 Trac bar and bracket, stage 3, any good. I changed the heim a ways back but it's popping again and if it's the bar/ upper bolt I'm going to a double sheer bar.

Mainly pops turning left

Anyone run core 4x4 Trac bar and bracket, stage 3, any good. I changed the heim a ways back but it's popping again and if it's the bar/ upper bolt I'm going to a double sheer bar.

Mainly pops turning left
Bring it down to Golden this weekend, I'll help you look it over.

I can also convert your bracket into a double shear.

Mainly pops turning left

I am running a RE track bar and a Core 4x4 double shear bracket.

I just turned the heim ninety degrees, added a pair of misalignment spacers to fill most of the width and reduce the bolt down to a 1/2" bolt. A grade 8 1/2" bolt, grade 8 nylock nut and a few grade 8 washers finished the job. I have three washers on the inside of the bracket to finish filling out the gap.

I think you could also run a Johnny Joint in the RE track bar.

The Core 4x4 bracket required me to tighten the heim all the way into the track bar in order to center the axle. That will vary according to lift.

guys for ball joints im narrowed down to Spicer or Synergy.

I dont mind either really, however I did notice that the Synergy are splined and i was wanting to know if this is bad for an axle that doesnt normally use splined ball joints ( spicers are smooth machined).

thank you for the clarity

When I was shopping, I measured the diameter of the splines and compared to a stock BJ: The splined joint was .006-inch larger diameter.

I ordered Spicer ball joints online.

i think ill keep them spicer then, im not really sure what splines are providing when installing into a machined surface.

anyone know if you can rent the press with the slanted cup for the upper joint?

Back